UW discovers new contractor

Plans for a massive University of Wisconsin research facility progressed Tuesday as officials named the building's construction firm.

According to a UW statement, J.H. Findorff & Son of Madison and M.A. Mortenson of Minneapolis will manage the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery — slated for groundbreaking in 2008 with a projected completion date two years later.

The proposed research facility will span the 1300 block of University Avenue and will be designed by Uihlein Wilson of Milwaukee, an architectural firm which also designed the new Dayton Street residence hall.

Jeff Tubbs, Findorff director of business development, said the construction company is excited to continue its long history with UW.

"We've done literally hundreds of projects on the UW campus," he said. "A research facility like this is big for UW and the state, but also for the Midwest."

Funding for the $150 million project will be split equally between state bonds, the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation and a personal donation by John and Tashia Morgridge.

The Wisconsin Department of Administration oversees all state building projects and had a part in the contractor selection process, according to spokesperson Scott Larrivee. A committee, including WARF and state representatives, narrowed the contractor pool to four applicants before making a decision.

"They get all of the candidates and then they go through qualifications and work history, and whoever gets the highest score gets the bid," he added.

According to Larrivee, the facility will be located at the heart of the UW campus and will be a public-private research institute. He also said the center will bring together researchers and experts from UW.

"Hopefully there will be some crosspollination of ideas with educators and scientists," he said. "That's where we're seeing … the great advances in science and medicine, and that's the idea."

Tubbs said Findorff is well-acquainted with downtown Madison construction, as they are currently managing the new Student Activity Center, which is in the process of being built.

Construction will generate a large amount of revenue for local subcontractors and the project will employ hundreds of people, Tubbs said.

"That's another exciting aspect," he added. "We'll be putting food on the table for a lot of people."

As part of the university's effort to become more globally conscious, the building will be constructed with energy-saving technology, Tubbs said.

Findorff is already involved with "green," or environmentally sound, construction, according to Tubbs.

"We have done projects that are green and are currently being certified," he said. "It makes you look at the way you are going to handle materials."

Larivee said more state facilities are turning to energy-saving processes to save money and conserve the environment.

Affiliated Engineers, which has a part in the design of the building, already designs buildings that meet U.S. green building council standards, Affiliated Director of Marketing Julie Bauer said.

In addition to the new construction, several buildings in the area will need to be torn down, according to Tubbs.