College Dems endorse Judge

The University of Wisconsin College Democrats endorsed Eli Judge Tuesday night in the race for Madison's 8th district city alderman seat. The political organization came to its decision after hosting an issue-oriented debate between Judge and his opponent Lauren Woods at the meeting. Both Judge and Woods are vying for outgoing City Council President Austin King's vacancy. According to College Democrats Chair Eli Lewien, the organization based its decision on recommendations from the executive board. Judge's track record with College Democrats was a large factor in determining their support, according to Lewien. "Eli Judge has worked closely with College Democrats, and he represents our organization very well for our endorsement," he said. "He has worked with College Democrats in the past and will be on campus for the next two years." Judge chaired the Students for a Fair Wisconsin campaign, an organization advocating against the proposed gay marriage amendment last fall, and said he developed a relationship with College Democrats. "They are really respected — that is really going to help," Judge said in a phone interview. "A lot of people look to College Democrats, and I really appreciate that they gave me the nod." Woods said the debate was lively and gave a great opportunity for her to gain exposure to the campus. And although she didn't receive the endorsement, Woods said she hopes a relationship develops after the election. "Obviously I was disappointed, but I definitely think I have the qualifications and I think I have the experience," Woods said. "I respect the process, but I hope that when I win in April, we will have a strong relationship despite what happened tonight." College Republicans Chair Erica Christenson said her organization is planning on endorsing a candidate sometime next week. Woods said she has been involved in a more varied environment than Judge and brought more to the argument Tuesday. "I have done extensive activities on campus and at the Capitol," she said. "I could talk from other perspectives than my opponent." Although it is a setback, Woods said the endorsement "won't shatter [her] campaign." She immediately resumed her campaign after the debate. "As soon as I left, I was out hitting doors," she said. "It would have been nice to have them endorse the more qualified candidate — which is me." Lewien said Judge is the right person for the job after hearing his comprehensive plan for campus safety. Woods also proposed her thoughts about safety Tuesday at the debate. "I think I did a good job of expressing my ideas about safety and pushing for pedestrian lights to illuminate the blocks and aesthetics of the neighborhood," Woods said.