‘Majestic’ changes for bar

After a series of violent outbreaks last fall, city officials reported that the legally mandated changes to Club Majestic have eliminated serious disturbances in the King Street neighborhood.

Last September, the Madison Police Department placed several restraining conditions on the infamous nightclub’s liquor license, including a lowered capacity, increased security, a glass bottle ban and limited entertainment.

The incident that sparked the legal troubles at Majestic, located at 115 King St., involved gang activity and a hostile crowd of more than 300 people.

But MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said since the City Attorney’s Office declared Club Majestic a “public nuisance,” the number of disturbances has decreased dramatically.

“[The improvements] were really a combination of everything,” Hanson said. “The plan was comprehensive in nature to protect officers, patrons, employees and neighbors of the establishment — we are not seeing the same disturbances we were seeing before.”

And though there was talk of requiring the nightclub’s owner to sell the establishment, Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Zilavy said city officials do not have a problem with the current title-holders and will not require them to sell.

“At this point, we don’t have any issues with the establishment,” Zilavy said. “I can’t imagine there would be anything to follow up with.”

For now, Hanson said Madison Police Chief Noble Wray and his downtown commander will continually evaluate the situation on King Street and make changes to the restrictions as needed. He added the most important step is to establish a positive relationship with the club’s owners.

“We will keep open communication with the club owners,” Hanson said. “There might be a need for … changes to the policy.”

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, Club Majestic is currently open and running just one day per week. He said the owners of the nightclub, the Schiavo family, must open the doors of the establishment at least once a week to keep their liquor license.

“Ever since the format of the club changed and the (number of) days they were open was greatly reduced, the problems in the area have really disappeared,” Verveer said.

Despite not being required by the city to sell the club, Verveer said the Schiavo family is still planning to do so. Majestic currently has two serious buyers lined up, he added, and the establishment is reportedly selling for more than $1 million.

And with new owners, Verveer said he hopes Majestic will “realize its full potential again.”

Verveer also said in a growing neighborhood like the King Street area, the plummeting number of violent disturbances and outbreaks at Majestic actually helps surrounding businesses as well.

“People used to be afraid to stay too long in the King Street area because of the violence that occurred there,” he said. “I would hope and presume the business of the other establishments has improved.”

But the troubles surrounding Club Majestic have not stopped the Schiavo family from having a hand in owning other local businesses. Verveer said after selling Majestic, the family will open a café in Fitchburg next month.