Team readies to take national title

Much of the attention of Wisconsin collegiate sports rests on the University of Wisconsin-Madison, UW-Milwaukee and Marquette University.

But this weekend, a different team will attempt to steal the spotlight.

UW-Whitewater's football team is heading to Salem, Virginia to play in the Division III National Championship this weekend, and much of the university is showing their support.

After beating Welsey College last Saturday, the Warhawks clinched a spot in the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl. They will be facing Mount Union College of Ohio in the bowl for the second year in a row, marking the first time in the history of the bowl that there has been a back-to-back rematch.

The university is doing the best they can to get fans down to the game, as they have set up travel and ticket information on their website.

UW-Whitewater Chancellor Martha Saunders said in a statement that she's proud of the accomplishments of the team.

"This team is not only a source of pride for the UW-Whitewater community but the entire state of Wisconsin," Saunders said. "The young men of this team are excellent examples of the scholar-athlete — I am proud of each of them."

Last year, the Warhawks had a surprising 14-0 season and went to the bowl. There, they were defeated by Mount Union by one touchdown, with a final score of 35-28. This year, UW-Whitewater Athletic Director Paul Plinske said the team is going in with a different attitude.

"We were an unknown team last year," Plinske said. "This year we are 14-0 and going in with expectations."

The team leaves for Salem today and will be followed Thursday by a bus of cheerleaders and fans from the community. On Friday, the band and fans from the university will depart for Virginia.

The game will be especially sentimental for long-time head coach Bob Berezowitz, who will be retiring at the end of this season, Saunders added.

Although UW-Whitewater is in the midst of final exams, the campus is very excited about their football team's trip to the national championship, as Plinske said the university is very optimistic about the outcome of the game.

"We have some unfinished business," Plinske said. "We're going there to win."

–Tom Schalmo contributed to this article.