Alder candidate announces bid

Neighborhood leader Vicky Selkowe announced her bid for City Council Sunday, and she will run against current Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, this spring. District 15 is located east of Lake Monona.

Selkowe said she is fit for the position because she is a member of the Schenk Atwood Starkweather Yahara Neighborhood Association as well as the secretary of the Worthington Park Neighborhood Association. Both neighborhoods make up part of District 15.

She also said she serves on two city commissions, dealing with affirmative action and equal opportunities. Selkowe is a Dane County district attorney who focuses on helping low-income workers.

"I think I would use the dedication and determination I have to bring real results to people," Selkowe said in an interview. "I believe in supporting working families and making sure we get more bang for our buck."

According to Palm, the biggest issues in the district are developmental problems. To rectify these problems, Selkowe said if she is elected, she will work for safer streets and improved traffic engineering.

She added that Palm does not work to improve development problems, and his votes in the council often do not represent the opinion of his constituents.

But Palm said he has represented the wants and needs of District 15 neighborhoods since he was elected in 2005.

"I stand by my record of promoting real afford ability for families and seniors, as well as my record for strong constituent services," he said.

Palm also said he took office with "overwhelming support," and has been proactively holding neighborhood meetings and taking a stand on development.

"My district has made this choice before," Palm added. "It's a choice between a Dane County activist on a soapbox and a neighborhood activist — neighborhoods come first to me."

Palm said his work with the district's neighborhoods and interaction with constituents are his biggest contributions to the council and to the city.

Yet in a release, Selkowe said Palm has proven consistently unpopular and unrepresentative of the District 15.

"I've heard from so many people in District 15 who express a lot of disappointment in [Palm] — from his lack of vision for our district to his votes that are so out of touch with our values," Selkowe said in a release. "They are right to expect more, and I'm honored so many district residents and community leaders have already been this supportive and encouraging of my campaign."

Although Palm organized several new neighborhood committees during his term, Selkowe added, he did not keep neighbors informed on all issues. Selkowe also said if elected, she would work with low-income families and local small-business owners to carry out the goals of the council and the City of Madison.

"We really deserve and need an alder who's going to stand up for our neighborhoods," she said. "We need to keep neighbors informed … and then we can advance a positive vision for our city."