Coal plant faces stiff opposition

[media-credit name=’PATRICK STATZ-BOYER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Coal_PSB[/media-credit]The permit for the Charter Street coal plant is up for renewal, and University of Wisconsin students are taking the opportunity to spread environmental awareness.

UW Students in the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group are taking advantage of this opportunity to increase student knowledge about the plant itself and about alternative energy sources. The coal permit determines how much pollution can be emitted into the atmosphere by a particular plant.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is holding a public hearing today at 5:30 p.m. to discuss the permit renewal, and students in WISPIRG are scheduled to gather at 5 p.m. at Memorial Union to attend the meeting together.

By attending the meeting, students aim to raise awareness regarding the coal-burning power plant located in the center of the University of Wisconsin campus.

WISPIRG, an environmental grassroots organization, said the coal-powered plant uses "dirty technology" and non-renewable fuel sources, which the group calls "outdated," in a press release.

"We have a very dirty plant on Dayton and Charter," Lauren Crane, a WISPIRG media intern, told The Badger Herald.

The coal-burning plant on the UW campus is the second worst sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide polluter in Dane County, according to the WISPIRG website. The site also said the UW plant pollutes area lakes and causes global warming pollution.

"The university is trying to get everyone to be more responsible about their energy use," WISPIRG member Anna Jaffe said. "Having a dirty coal burning plant on campus is sending the wrong message."

According to the Madison Area Clean Energy Coalition web site, Wisconsin gets nearly three-fourths of its electricity from imported coal burned at plants like the one on Charter Street.

Crane offered suggestions for alternatives to burning coal for energy such as co-generation energy facilities like water or solar power.

"There are a lot of different energy options," Crane said. "It just boils down to what works for us."

According to the MG&E web site, MG&E has a plan to stop burning coal throughout the next 10 years. The plan focuses on a cleaner and more efficient production of energy in the Madison area.

Jaffe said WISPIRG members hope a similar plan will be made regarding the plant on Charter and Dayton.

Members of Collegians For a Constructive Tomorrow, a conservative non-profit organization concerned about environmental issues, did not return phone calls as of press time.