A cappella favorites tout 10th year

It isn't everyday a University of Wisconsin student organization celebrates its 10th anniversary at a popular downtown venue in front of more than 1,000 devoted fans.

But this Thursday and Friday, the Madhatters will be doing just that.

The men's a cappella group is set to celebrate the milestone with its fall shows, which will take place in the Overture Center's newly renovated Capitol Theater.

"This will be our third time performing [at the Overture Center], but it still almost feels like we shouldn't be there," joked Brian Olsen, a seasoned Madhatter. "It's just that nice."

The expected turnout for the performances is a testament to how far the group has come from its humble start 10 years ago in a Humanities concert hall.

According to Steve Beguhn, Madhatter member and business manager, the group originated with a handful of concert choir members whose first show was an ad hoc performance following a choir concert.

"Their first crowd was about 30 people," Beguhn said. "And now we're selling out the Overture Center. It's just amazing."

But the popular Madison theater is by no means the group's only venue.

In addition to campus performances, charity events and birthday parties, the male vocalists are also A-listers at Chancellor John Wiley's annual holiday party.

According to Ellen Seuferer, official functions coordinator in the chancellor's office, Wiley is very supportive of all campus music groups, not only because he enjoys the performances but also because they are a reflection of the UW student population.

Even the group's trademark red jackets come thanks to Wiley, Beguhn said, in demonstration of his support.

And for the Madhatters, being able to perform for UW's head honcho is another job perk that, as Olsen put it, "almost makes us feel like we're above ourselves."

Beguhn said the "support from the top" is a definite asset to the group's success, but it is also a reminder of their responsibility to act as representatives of the university.

"Sometimes it kind of feels like a middle school field trip, you know, like when your teacher is always like, 'You represent your school,'" Beguhn laughed. "We represent the group and we represent the university."

And that extends beyond the UW campus, as the Madhatters regularly perform for the Madison community and even across the country.

The group has gone on tours, sang the National Anthem at Miller Park in Milwaukee and had one of their songs played at a Boston Celtics basketball game. But the singers maintain their local performances are just as rewarding.

Beguhn mentioned a day in December when the group will perform for a disadvantaged children's center in the morning, only to head to a volunteer event at a senior center later in the day — events he said the group does to "spread the Madhatter spirit."

Despite all the attention the Madhatters receive in and around Madison, Beguhn stressed that the group is just a bunch of "dorky guys who love to sing."

"Sometimes you kind of feel like a rock star," Beguhn said. "But it's really all about the fans. If we didn't have fans, we'd be the singing bums on State Street. I mean, we'd still be singing anyways, probably, but it wouldn't be as rewarding."