Students await Union decision

[media-credit name=’Herald file photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]union_FilePhoto[/media-credit]After the Associated Students of Madison election results were released three weeks ago, the validity of both referendums on the ballot have been challenged, with the future of the Student Union Initiative expected to be announced today.

Six members of ASM filed a complaint with the Student Judiciary against the Student Elections Commission two weeks ago, calling for the commission to void the results of the Student Union Initiative vote, which student voters passed.

According to the petitioners, SEC should not have let the Student Union Initiative pass because its supporters used misleading advertising to get their initiative passed and violated ASM bylaws in the process.

ASM member and petitioner in the case David Lapidus said if the judiciary rules in favor of the petitioners, the Student Union Initiative will be nullified.

Lapidus added he thinks the ASM members have a "decent" chance to win the case.

"I think we presented a very good argument, but it's really impossible to say," Lapidus said. "You never know with SJ, just like any real court."

If the court does decide in favor of the ASM members, the Student Union Initiative would be able to run a campaign again, but the group would have to wait until the ASM elections in the spring. Lapidus said if the judiciary decides in favor of the ASM petitioners, some members of the student government would push for the Student Union Initiative to be split into two separate referendums — one supporting the Memorial Union renovations and the other supporting a new Union South.

Chief Justice of SJ Josh Tyack said the facts of the case were relatively clear-cut.

"It wasn't all that difficult to decide for me," Tyack said. "I can't speak about any other justices, but I thought the facts were pretty clear."

If the court decides in favor of the six ASM members, however, Lapidus said he thinks supporters of the Student Union Initiative, which has been through several previous elections, will continue to campaign.

"I imagine they'll keep trying every time there's a vote," Lapidus said. "They have enough money to do that — they have enough manpower."

SEC Chair Leah Moe said she did not want to speculate the outcome of the case because she is also a member of SJ, but noted that if the judiciary ruled in favor of SEC, the results of the Student Union Initiative vote will stand.

If that is the case, Lapidus said ASM will make an effort to ensure that the details of how the initiative will be funded are "very, very, very clear" to the students.

Lapidus also said regardless of SJ's decision today, ASM is in need of campaign finance regulations for its elections.

"We need to make sure it would be something that has enough heat that it would actually make a difference," Lapidus said. "Something is better than nothing in this regard."

Lapidus said he plans to propose his plan to the ASM Student Council before the end of this semester or save it for the spring. According to Lapidus, changes to the ASM Constitution usually take place in the spring elections.

Moe, however, said she does not think campaign reform is necessary at this point.

"I know it's something the Student Judiciary might be considering," Moe said. "But at this point it's not a pressing issue."