Regents honor System educators

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Regents-010_BF[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin System announced its support of the Wisconsin GI Bill at the Board of Regents meeting Friday, recognizing the importance of providing higher education to today's veterans. The regents said providing higher education to veterans is especially important because some would not have the funds to pay for it on their own.

The Federal GI Bill was enacted in 1944 to provide World War II veterans with educational benefits, and it allowed hundreds of soldiers to attend college for free following their military service.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said the bill has helped universities grow and has allowed veterans to achieve quality educations.

"Much of what this UW System is today is the result of that enormous new set of social policies," Reilly said. "The GI Bill changed America by changing its universities."

Reilly added he believes that current veterans deserve the same support in the UW System.

"Wisconsin remains, today, a real leader in honoring and assisting its veterans," he said. "This board has been a strong proponent of Wisconsin veterans as they return home from their current service."

A state bill currently provides Wisconsin veterans with a 50 percent remission on tuition. However, beginning next fall, those benefits will be increased to a full 100 percent waiver of tuition.

John Scocos, Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, thanked the board for their enthusiastic support of the GI Bill. Scocos will work closely with the board to encourage the Wisconsin Legislature to provide the funding needed to allow veterans tuition remission.

"We look forward to working with President Reilly on seeking the funding," Scocos said. "Our agency is not Democrat nor Republican, but is doing what's right for its citizen veterans that have served their country and now are coming home to do their best in society."

Scocos said he believes the new Wisconsin bill is more important than ever because the old federal benefits are not enough to cover the cost of an education today. He also said he commends the authors of the bill, as the measure allows all veterans, even those that served in Vietnam 30 years ago, to gain educational benefits.