Board declares support for GI bill

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents delivered their annual Teaching Excellence Awards Friday to two UW System professors and a UW department.

The board gives the awards to individuals and departments within the UW System for their outstanding service and dedication to education. John Koker, professor of mathematics at UW-Oshkosh, and Kathryn Olson, associate professor of communications at UW-Milwaukee received individual awards, and the UW-Eau Claire history department received the departmental award.

"These awards represent an opportunity for the board to recognize and honor some of the University of Wisconsin System's most outstanding teachers, departments and programs," said Regent Danae Davis, chair of the selection committee. "As regents, we must take advantage of every opportunity to publicly honor the dedication that goes with the acts of teaching and learning."

Koker — who joined the UWO faculty in 1991 — has received several awards for his work, including the UWO Distinguished Teaching Award. He also earned a $150,000 grant to improve elementary and middle school classrooms.

Koker, who appeared choked up over receiving the award, said he felt humbled when he got it from the regents.

"I have come to realize that teaching is a huge problem, and it's probably the biggest problem that I will never solve," he said. "But along with my students, we can answer open questions in my field and about teaching and learning in general."

Upon introducing Olson, Regent Charles Pruitt said Olson is renowned among her coworkers.

"Indeed she has been characterized by her colleagues as the constant teacher — dedicated, conscientious and perpetually interested in helping students learn."

Olson, who joined the UWM faculty in 1991, earned her Ph.D. from Northwestern University and received the 1996 Wisconsin Communication Association Andrew T. Weave Award for Wisconsin's Outstanding College Educator.

In addition, Olson noted a number of programs at UWM that she felt were constructive to education in the state including one she helped create, the Rhetorical Leadership Graduate Certificate Program.

"Our goal here is to prepare effective citizen leaders," Olson said.

Regent Chris Semenas introduced Katherine Lang, Chair of the UWEC history department by noting some of the department's achievements including diversity.

In her speech, Lang emphasized the strength of the history department at UWEC.

"It's my great privilege to chair a department of immensely talented, creative, unstoppable faculty who put student learning first — period," she said. "We have had a curriculum which is absolutely dedicated to teaching students the history of the global society in which we live and also of the multicultural nation in which we live."

The event marked the 14th year the awards have been given out by the Board of Regents.