City mourns death of former politician

Former state legislator Doris Hanson passed away Wednesday, but those who knew her best say her activism in both Madison and the University of Wisconsin community will be remembered forever.

"With the passing of Doris Hanson, Wisconsin has lost one of its most dedicated public servants," Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a release. "State and local government is a better place for her involvement, and a sadder place today after her death."

Janet Piraino, chief of staff for the mayor, said Hanson was extremely involved in all aspects of city life. Hanson was the first woman to serve as secretary of the state's Department of Administration under former Gov. Tony Earl. She also served in the cabinets of former Govs. Martin Schreiber, Tommy Thompson and Scott McCallum.

"[Hanson] was somebody you always wanted on your side — she held her beliefs very strongly, and she fought for them," Piraino said. "Yet she was also very professional about the way she persuaded people."

Until her death, Hanson was the vice president at First Weber Group, served on the Breast Cancer Recovery Foundation board and was the chair of the Monona Terrace Board of Directors, Piraino said.

She added Hanson had a "critical position" in the running of Monona Terrace, and poured endless effort into the job even though it is a volunteer position.

As a member of the Women's Intercollegiate Sports Club, Hanson fought greatly for female athletes at UW. Piraino also said that as a UW alumna, Hanson was very passionate about the importance of higher education and fought to better every part of the university.

"[Hanson] was always first in line to step up for UW-Madison," she added.

Carla Vigue, spokeswoman for state Department of Health and Family Services, added that Hanson served as an important member of the Executive Director of the Technology for Educational Achievement program.

Among the recognition Hanson received throughout the years, Piraino said she recently earned the Madison YWCA's Women of Distinction Award and the Atwood Community Center's Thoughtful, Committed Citizen Award.

"It was with great sadness that I learned of the passing of Doris Hanson," Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement. "Doris was a wonderful human being and true public servant."