Regents choose new head of UW-L

A special committee of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents announced its recommendation for the next chancellor for University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Friday.

Joe Gow, interim president of Nebraska Wesleyan University, is expected to be approved by the entire board at its meeting this Friday.

Gow, who will begin as chancellor in February, expressed his excitement for coming to Wisconsin and being a part of a UW System school.

"I'm thrilled to be asked to become the next chancellor up at UW-L," Gow said. "It's a great school in a world-class system. The opportunity to be the chancellor there is remarkable."

Regent Brent Smith, who chaired the special committee, said Gow is "dynamic and passionate" and was popular among students and staff when he visited La Crosse last month.

"The campus was very positive in their response to him," Smith said. "I think they saw him, quite frankly, as an inspiring leader."

Smith added that what set Gow apart was the overwhelmingly positive response he received in La Crosse and his ability to relate with external fundraising groups.

Earlier this year, the Board of Regents approved UW-L's Growth and Access Agenda, which aims to increase tuition in order to provide for additional and more diverse student and staff positions. Gow said he will continue these efforts to create a more diverse campus.

"There's a strong interest in enhancing diversity at UW-L," Gow said. "I look forward to helping in those efforts and making sure the university has the resources to provide a great academic experience."

Gow was chosen over, among other finalists, Virginia Sapiro, who is UW-Madison's associate vice chancellor for teaching and learning.

Sapiro, who did not return calls placed by The Badger Herald, served as interim provost last year before current Provost Patrick Farrell was selected.

While she was not chosen as a finalist for the permanent UW-Madison provost position, Sapiro has made the finalist lists for other provost positions at the University of Kansas, University of Vermont, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Michigan State University. She was not selected by any of these universities.

Gow, in the meantime, said he's looking forward to returning to the region, as he previously served as the dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Winona State University in Minnesota, which is about a half hour outside of La Crosse.

"[My wife and I] would often go over to La Crosse for dining, movies, shopping and music — we really liked the area," Gow said. "When you couple that familiarity and the fondness for the area with the fact that it's a great university, it's a pretty compelling package."

Gow added that he was also impressed with the people at UW-L when he visited the campus and underwent the interview process.

"I think they did a wonderful job and represented the university and community very well," he said. "I am connected with them, and [they] made me feel very good about the fit."

In addition to Gow and Sapiro, the other three finalists for the chancellor post included Royce Engstrom, provost at the University of South Dakota; Beverly Schmoll, dean of the College of Pharmacy at Wayne State University; and Patrick McGhee, deputy vice chancellor of the University of Central Lancashire in the United Kingdom.