Police unsure of drowning cause

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Hotel_RP[/media-credit]The Dane County Coroner's Office and the Madison Police Department identified the man who was found dead in the Doubletree Hotel's pool early Sunday morning, but officials said they are still uncertain as to the cause of his death.

Kurt Karbusicky of the Dane County Coroner's office said the man has been identified as Darrell McCann, 24, of Madison. The death has officially been declared an accident, Karbusicky confirmed, but circumstances of the accident remain uncertain.

McCann drowned in the pool at the Doubletree, located at 525 West Johnson St., very early Sunday, Oct. 29. The police report said the body was found around 7:30 a.m. the same day.

"We aren't releasing any further information at this time," Karbusicky said.

According to Madison Police Department spokesperson Carlos Valentin, McCann was not a current University of Wisconsin student nor a UW alum.

McCann attended a party in one of the hotel rooms that night, Valentin added, but was not a friend of the guests registered to the room. Valentin said McCann had "casually met" the hotel guests, a young couple, for the first time at the party Saturday, Oct. 28.

The incident happened Halloween weekend, but Valentin said the incident was not related to a holiday celebration nor did it involve an extremely large gathering of people.

Though toxicology tests take weeks to complete, Valentin noted that police found alcohol in the pool area.

"Unfortunately, [a toxicology report] is not something that can automatically be deducted," he added. "Yes, we found alcohol in the area — however, the toxicology is the one thing that will be definite."

Valentin said the investigation is ongoing and will be deemed an accident unless further information is disclosed.

Management at the Doubletree Hotel could not be reached for comment Tuesday. However, a Doubletree Hotel employee said the pool area is closed from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. each day but would not say whether the doors were supposed to be locked during those times. Valentin said McCann would have been in the pool area between those times.