‘The Nuge’ rocks campus

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]The-Nuge_RP[/media-credit]Bringing a self-proclaimed extreme right-winger to speak at the University of Wisconsin created a spark that nearly blew the roof off Memorial Union Theater Wednesday night. The conservative student organization Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow hosted a lecture by rock-legend turned political-activist Ted Nugent. Security guards and a police dog were present at the rowdy room filled with Nugent supporters and objectors of all ages.

Nugent drew a large crowd from the UW campus and surrounding areas. Tom Talbot, who traveled from Portage to hear Nugent, said the rocker's blunt opinions were entertaining.

Talbot said Nugent's political outlook is "from the heart."

UW freshman Jason Bergsbaken said although the lecture was politically incorrect, it was still exciting.

"Some of the stuff was shocking, I agreed with some of it, but most of it was a little over the top," Bergsbaken said.

Nugent's ideas drew a variety of reactions — from raised eyebrows and boos to screams of "Cat Scratch Fever!"

UW senior James Sands said the strong-willed speaker made several inappropriate comments.

"I think he's a moron — he's a raging idiot," he said. "He just likes to do it for the publicity."

Nugent spoke extensively about his anti-substance stance and the "assholes who gave up their life to be hip."

Nugent joked about speaking "at" his fellow drug-influenced rockers such as Ozzy Osbourne and Kurt Cobain.

"I got to jam with Jimmy Hendrix — he laughed at me because I wouldn't take his drugs, and I said, 'Jimmy, you've got a booger hanging out of your nose,'" Nugent said.

UW sophomore Stephen Collins said Nugent's ideas were clear, but that he wrongly attacked people with substance abuse problems.

Clearly expressing his Republican leanings, Nugent riled up the crowd with conservative credo.

"A conservative gets up early to be productive, driven by the pure instinct to be self sustaining," Nugent said. "A liberal thinks they can sleep in, and someone will cover their lame ass."

Nugent also touched on his conservative views on unemployment.

"When I see a beggar on the street, I say, 'Hey asshole, there's a help-wanted sign right over there!'" he said.

The already rowdy crowd at the theater erupted when a member of the audience criticized Nugent's non-involvement in the Vietnam War.

Nugent ended the prolonged verbal exchange between the two with the short demand, "Eat shit and die."

The argument allowed both parties to express their viewpoints, despite the chaotic shouting match, according to CFACT president Adam Ostrum.

"I like to hear both sides of issues, and it's something that should be encouraged on this campus," Ostrum said.

Nugent praised political activism with his unique brand of lobbying.

"It's time to break out the crowbar of independence and bop some politicians on the head."