Marquette tours go iPod

Students in search of colleges might soon have a new way of touring campuses: the iPod.

Marquette University, located in downtown Milwaukee, is the first school in the nation to offer a video tour of the campus using video and audio players such as Apple's iPod.

The video, which can be downloaded from the school's website, is 16 minutes long.

"We think it's a great way for students to see everything without even stepping foot on campus," said Brigid O'Brien Miller, director of communications for Marquette.

The video is most often used for interested students who wish to tour campus when no official tours are taking place. Prospective students can borrow one of several iPods from the university featuring the video tour.

"Students can take the iPod with them and tour campus at their own pace rather than having to follow an official tour guide," O'Brien Miller said. "They also have the option of rewinding if they want to hear something again."

While the video tour is attracting some students, critics are voicing concern over the fact that the video precludes students from asking questions and receiving immediate feedback. Another complaint is that some parts of the video move too quickly through certain topics.

David Hawkins, director of public policy for the National Association for College Admission Counseling, said he has not heard of any other schools offering video tours by iPod, but added many have virtual tours on their websites.

"I think this is a trend that is likely to catch on with other colleges," Hawkins said. "More and more students are relying on the Internet and technology to make college decisions."

Though Hawkins said the iPod video tour is convenient, he noted it will not necessarily help the school in attracting more students.

The video tour, hosted by two seniors majoring in communications, starts at Marquette's Alumni Memorial Union and takes students around the campus pointing out which buildings are most frequented. In addition, the video gives historical details and information important to prospective students.

An estimated 100 prospective students have seen the video since its release on the Marquette University website in August.