Faculty member dies in Italy

Gordon Brewster Baldwin, University of Wisconsin Law School professor emeritus, passed away in his sleep this weekend after attending an opera in Italy with his wife.

According to a statement released by UW Monday, 77-year-old Baldwin struggled with cancer during the final months of his life.

This December would have marked Baldwin's 50th year with the university, and according to UW political science professor Donald Downs, he was a "brilliant man of courage" and an exemplary professor.

"His students said he was incredibly challenging," Downs said. "He was a model of teaching and a model of how to know your field, and he was a model campus citizen."

In addition to his position on the faculty, Baldwin was the director of officer education for ROTC at UW from 1971 to 1999 and also served as legal advisor to the Committee for Academic Freedom and Rights, of which Downs is the president.

Fellow UW Law School professor emeritus Frank Tuerkheimer said Baldwin was very active in the ROTC program.

Although Baldwin had different political views than many of his colleagues, Tuerkheimer added, he was still one of the most respected members of the faculty.

"He was sort of the in-house conservative in a faculty that definitely leans to a more liberal side — and it was not a problem because … he listened to you and we listened to him," Tuerkheimer said. "There was the kind of political dialogue you don't see much anymore, but he was of that school."

According to the release, Baldwin was active in Wisconsin state government for approximately 20 years. He was chair of the State Public Defender Board from 1981-1982, chair of the State Elections Board in 1992 and was appointed to the State Ethics Board in 2000.

Baldwin was also a lawyer, and according to the release he successfully defended the Fourth Amendment before the U.S. Supreme Court in Welsh v. Wisconsin in 1983.

Downs said he was "honored" to work with Baldwin on his committee and said he learned a lot from his former colleague.

"He was a very rare person who was incredibly interesting and dedicated," Downs said. "I couldn't have asked for a better person."

Other government positions Baldwin held include counselor on international law for the U.S. State Department from 1975 to 1976 and a delegate to the United Nations Conference on Charter Review in 1976.

Tuerkheimer said Baldwin's presence and wisdom will "truly be missed" at UW.

"It is not something you just say in passing, triggered by the sadness of his death," Tuerkheimer said. "It is said because it is true."