Amendment backers spread lies, critics say

A group of people visited Madison residences this past weekend spreading false statements about the proposed constitutional marriage amendment, according to members of the leading anti-amendment group Fair Wisconsin.

Fair Wisconsin press secretary Rachel Strauch-Nelson said after the latest canvassing effort by her organization — in which members went door-to-door throughout the west side of Madison — participants said area residents reported they had also been greeted by amendment supporters assuring them the amendment referendum had changed.

"What I've heard is that supporters were saying the second sentence of the amendment had been taken off the ballot," Strauch-Nelson said. "But we're still trying to track some of the information down from people who went out this past weekend."

The second sentence prohibits recognition of any status "substantially similar" to marriage, which primarily refers to what are commonly called "civil unions." The amendment's prohibition would extend to all unmarried couples, gay or straight.

Wisconsin voters will decide the future of the amendment on the upcoming Nov. 7 election.

But the leading amendment-supporting group Vote Yes for Marriage — with which the supporters were allegedly associated — maintains the group "would not spread those lies."

"We haven't done canvassing anywhere yet, and we don't know that we will," Judith Brant of Vote Yes for Marriage said. "We've had people distribute literature door-to-door, but they don't stay and talk."

Brant added it was possible anyone who has obtained literature from the Vote Yes for Marriage campaign could have used it in spreading the false statement.

"If someone had our material, they could go around on their own," she said. "We can't control those people."

Yet Fair Wisconsin performs canvassing projects around the state several times a week to educate voters on the effects of the amendment.

"It's really important to make sure folks are understanding what they are voting on," Strauch-Nelson said.

Vote Yes for Marriage President Julaine Appling and Fair Wisconsin Campaign Manager Mike Tate are set to debate today at Edgewood High School in Madison. The debate will follow a similar format as previous debates, except Edgewood juniors and seniors in the audience will pose the questions.