Global concerns trigger discussion between CEOs, researchers

Long known for its state-of-the art research facilities, the University of Wisconsin has historically made a place for itself in addressing worldwide issues. Continuing in that tradition, three top UW researchers addressed alumni who have since become CEOs around the nation Saturday at the Fluno Center.

"We heard from people today that are attacking some of the biggest problems we have, in industry and society," Chairman and CEO of Rockwell Automation Keith D. Nosbusch said at Saturday's summit. "What they're working on here at Wisconsin has a direct connection to the future."

UW anatomy and biotechnology professor James A. Thomson, who helped pave the way for human embryonic stem-cell research, spoke about his work and its potentially limitless benefits, such as better understanding of human tissue and providing an unlimited supply of organ and tissue transplants.

The field has been inappropriately discredited, according to Thomson, who said he is optimistic about the future of human embryonic stem-cell research.

"A lot of this won't happen tomorrow," Thomson said. "But I think within my lifetime we'll have this achieved."

Yoshihiro Kawaoka, a professor in the School of Veterinary Medicine, also presented before assembled CEOs Saturday.

Kawaoka's research primarily focuses on the potential pandemic outbreak of the H5N1 bird flu virus. The avian flu causes major hemorrhaging throughout the body and has already killed a "reported" 146 people, according to Kawaoka, who said he believes the number actually killed could be more. He compared the virus to the Spanish flu, which killed 20 to 40 million people worldwide in 1918.

"Vaccination before any pandemic is actually the way to go, but in any developed country it won't happen because of the liability issue," Kawaoka said. "There is no vaccine that doesn't have any side effects."

There is no proof that avian flu is transmissible humans-to-human, but Kawaoka is still working toward a start-up company to manufacture drugs to prevent a pandemic.

In addition to medical projects, research in other areas of study were also highlighted. UW assistant professor of computer science Paul Barford provided insight on Internet security and the more than one billion systems, which he said are intrinsic to all aspects of modern society.

"One of the most amazing things for me is to walk around this campus and to look at our students with a Walkman or iPod in one ear, a cell phone in another and carrying one, or even two laptops," Barford said. "They are totally connected to the rest of the world, and most of this is facilitated by the basic infrastructure of the Internet."

These connections can also be dangerous, according to Barford. He said the accessibility of the Internet allows "nefarious and bad" people to infiltrate and tamper with the systems.

Overall, all the three researchers provided the business leaders with a unique look at their alma mater's progress.

UW Chancellor John Wiley, who also made an appearance at the summit, said the business leaders would now have a unique perspective on UW's scientific research.

"I think the CEOs got an absolutely priceless outlook from real world experts on the science and technology topics," Wiley said. "Many of them are in companies that are in the position to make a big difference."