City officials evaluate ‘Concrete Park’ revamp

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]concrete_BF[/media-credit]Members of the State Street Oversight Committee met Thursday to discuss the fate of the void concrete areas along North Frances Street, a project that will be completed with the State Street reconstruction in 2007.

The committee is looking to renovate what has now become known as the "Concrete Park" space between the Towers and Statesider residence halls, as well as the space alongside State Street Brats.

"Really, the plan is opening [the area] up," Project Designer Ken Saiki said. "We want to allow much more free movement from State Street."

According to Project Manager Mike Statz, design ideas to improve the area include increased lighting, an amphitheater, more accessible bike racks, increased greenery and a decorative fountain.

Statz said the only problem with the plan is the necessary removal of a few area trees, which is a trade-off for better functionality. He added, however, that the plan does include rows of new trees to make up for the loss.

"The design is really still evolving," Saiki explained. "We're looking for the endorsement of a concept here."

Though the design is still in the planning stages, many of the ideas met with enthusiasm and approval from the committee. Saiki estimated that the amphitheater planned for "Concrete Park" would seat between 50 and 100 people, adding that the current space is not used to its full potential.

Madison City Planner Archie Nicolette said by redesigning "Concrete Park" and giving the area a purpose, its functionality will increase dramatically.

"This will probably triple the usable space," he argued.

Though most of the proposal met with positive feedback, the idea of a decorative fountain gracing the area next to State Street Brats provoked mild disagreement among committee members.

Saiki proposed two fountains — both flat granite slabs about 5 feet wide and 9 feet tall with water cascading along the front. The slim design would be off to the side and would not get in the way of pedestrians, he said. Saiki said the fountains would not look out of place in the winter, when the water is turned off.

While Nicolette said he appreciated the simple design, committee member Scott Thornton argued the proposed fountains would not be worth the cost if they were not aesthetically pleasing.

"I like the concept of having a water feature there," Thornton said. "I just don't like how it looks."

City Council President Austin King suggested a water feature in the center of the space instead of off to the side would be a better solution of both aesthetically and functionally. He argued that many great fountains, including the one on Library Mall, interrupt the pedestrian path without being a hassle.

"It's a two-second detour, but it helps focus on the statue instead of … hiding it," King said. "I'd almost rather see one focal point that people do walk around — maybe it will also slow down bicyclists coming through."

The State Street Oversight Committee will hold a Public Information Meeting for feedback on the 500 and 600 blocks project. The meeting will be held Oct. 26; the location is yet to be determined.