Doyle announces new energy plan

In an effort to bolster energy independence in Wisconsin and across the country, Gov. Jim Doyle announced a $450 million plan Monday to expand bioindustry and renewable energy within the state.

The proposal, which Doyle plans to include in his budget next year, outlines nearly $80 million from state funds that would, in turn, be used to leverage an additional $370 million in private investment.

Matt Canter, communications director for Doyle's office, said the strategy is part of a broad effort to create 17,000 high-end jobs in Wisconsin — 6,000 from biopower industries and 11,000 from biofuel industries.

"Gov. Doyle is making this strong investment to capture these emerging industries in renewable energy," Canter said. "The industries are really changing rapidly, and the rise of the cost of heating homes and heating state buildings and heating the university and filling gas tanks puts a squeeze on Wisconsin families."

Other parts of the plan include financial incentives such as loans, bonds, tax credits and grants for companies and researchers to invest in for developing biotechnologies and renewable energy.

Canter said the plan helps to reach Doyle's goal of generating 25 percent of Wisconsin's electricity and 25 percent of transportation fuel from renewable fuels by 2025.

"The plan is to relieve dependence on foreign energy," Canter said. "Specifically, the plan is to be more dependent on the Midwest than on the Middle East."

Canter added Doyle also proposed a $5 million grant to build the first cellulosic ethanol manufacturing plant in the country.

"This is a new kind of ethanol that is reached through use of forest byproducts or switch grass," he said. "This is an incredible opportunity here, and Wisconsin has an opportunity to lead the way and lead the nation."

But Luke Punzenberger, spokesperson for gubernatorial challenger U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., said Doyle has a track record of increasing energy costs.

"Governor Doyle … raided $100 million from the state conservation fund — money that was supposed to go toward keeping energy costs down," he said. "His plan is yet another attempt to paper over four years of failure weeks before the election."

Punzenberger added Green supported the first national renewable fuels standard to set minimum requirements for renewable energy use, voted to provide tax credits for the purchase of hybrid vehicles and helped create tax incentives for energy-efficient home improvements.

Doyle's unveiling occurred at Madison Area Technical College, where he also awarded the college $20,000 to fund initial costs for the development of the Northern Solar Testing and Certification Facility.

Along with the initial investment, Doyle announced an additional $100,000 will be allocated for the laboratory, which will test and certify solar panels.

"There is only one other of these facilities in the county, so there's an enormous backlog for people that want to put solar panels on their homes," he said. "This facility would help relieve the backlog nationally and help homeowners get tax credits for using solar panels."