Safety forum calls for student caution

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Safety_JS[/media-credit]In light of a slew of assaults and robberies in recent months, the Associated Students of Madison hosted a Campus Safety Forum Wednesday night to discuss methods of keeping students and Madison residents safe from attacks similar crimes.

The Madison Police Department, the University of Wisconsin Police Department, Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam and SAFE programs were all present at the forum answering student questions and concerns about campus safety.

"Understand the fact that there are some people out there that don't have your best interests in mind," Tony Fiore, MPD Langdon Street officer said. "Make yourself a difficult target."

The main areas of concern, according to MPD Captain Mary Schauf, are Langdon Street, Gilman Street and State Street, where multiple muggings and robberies took place last spring.

Several tips for students were offered by the panel repeatedly, including the usage of the SAFE Ride services, walking in groups as opposed to going somewhere alone and making sure doors are locked at all times.

"Do not walk alone," Berquam stressed. "It's imperative that you use good judgment."

The panel noted three types of places that were dangerous areas to be alone at night: isolated areas, areas with limited communication and areas with few escape routes.

There has been increased awareness this fall of crime in the campus area, and UWPD Chief Dale Burke attributed that to the randomness of the attacks and their high level of violence.

"We've tried to raise the awareness of the crime around Madison," Berquam said. "It is important for students to see that it can happen to them."

A big factor in many of the crimes is the amount of alcohol that the victim had consumed that evening. Bar-time violence has required police attention and usually involves students striking each other.

In addition, muggings have also been a result of victims being drunk or disoriented.

"Victims tend to be more intoxicated than suspects, suspects seem to have just enough alcohol to reduce the inhibitions, and then we see that aggressive behavior coming out," Schauf said.

Event organizer and ASM president Dylan Rath said campus safety is one of ASM's most important issues this semester. Rath added that campus crime was too high.

ASM's 12-month safety plan involves an alliance between students, police and UW administration to make the campus a safer place for everyone. In addition, ASM-sponsored SAFE Ride and SAFE Walk programs — which help students get home late at night — will be used to increase campus safety.

Despite all of these proposed improvements for campus safety, some students are still skeptical and do not always feel safe at night.

"I don't feel safe at all," UW junior Sabrina Buchholz said. "I think as a girl I feel especially vulnerable, and I feel that there should be a greater police presence on Langdon Street."