Nightclub comes under fire

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Majestic_BF[/media-credit]City officials met Tuesday to discuss the fate of Club Majestic, one of the city's largest nightclubs and the site of several recent arrests and large-scale bar fights.

Though Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, the Madison Police Department and City Attorney Michael May are considering several actions against the Majestic, they do not plan to make any decisions until later this week.

"We just discussed the situation, and our office is going to be looking at our options," May said. "We will be deciding on an action in the next few days."

According to MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson, events at the Majestic early Saturday morning resulted in city officials taking action. He said fighting began inside the building, and when police investigated, they found a chaotic situation that included several fights and bottles being thrown everywhere.

"It was just a very dangerous environment," Hanson reported.

Upon police arrival, he added, the fight moved to the street and drew a crowd of more than 300 people, while a group of 10 officers tried to break up the brawl.

Despite the high level of violence outside the Majestic, no officers were hurt, and police cited only minor injuries among the patrons.

According to several MPD press releases, Saturday's incident was only the latest of several disturbances outside of Club Majestic. MPD reported three other incidents this summer that occurred outside the club.

Officers responded to a call July 30, when a victim suffered a gunshot wound outside of the club. Police also reported a weapons violation on the same site Aug. 5, where a man was reportedly stabbed in the torso. Both crimes are still under investigation.

But with multiple disturbances — many of them more serious than just the average bar fight — Hanson said something had to be done. He also said it is possible the owners or management of the Majestic are not doing all they can to address and rectify the situation.

"When you have disturbances like these, something is not working, and more can always be done," Hanson added.

Joe Abrams, general manager of Club Majestic, could not be contacted as of press time.

Members of the Schiavo family — the owners responsible for converting the old Majestic Theater into a nightclub — also could not be reached for comment.

May said the situation will be monitored and examined carefully in the next few days to determine a course of action. One possible action, he added, includes shutting down the infamous nightclub entirely.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and member of the Alcohol License Review Committee, said other possible outcomes for these types of repeated violations and problems include revoking either the establishment's liquor license or entertainment license. Should the Majestic's entertainment license be revoked, he added, the club would not be able to provide any entertainment in the form of either live music or a D.J.

"It's a serious situation," May noted. "We intend to look very seriously at what our options are here."