Madison nears bank-robbery record

Madison racked up its 18th bank robbery Monday afternoon, falling one short of 2001's record 19 bank robberies.

According to a press release from the Madison Police Department, the robbery occurred at 4:27 p.m. at the Chase Bank on Milwaukee Street. The suspect, a black male 25-30 years old, reportedly demanded money by passing a note to the bank teller.

No weapon was spotted, and no one was harmed in the incident, but the suspect fled to a nearby vehicle and escaped before police arrived.

Mike Hanson, public information officer for MPD, said it is likely Madison will break earlier records for bank robberies before the end of the year.

"That was our 18th bank robbery, and we still have the holiday season to go," he added.

Officials from Chase Bank could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Though the number of robberies this year is abnormally high, Don Klein — a corporate spokesperson for Associated Bank — said banks are actually taking more protective measures each year to protect patrons and employees.

"You'll find all banks do everything they can to keep customers safe," he explained. "We have a security staff that ensures everything is going well in the bank as a full-time job."

Though bank robberies have become a heightened problem in the Madison area, Klein said customers should not be worried about the security of their accounts or their funds. All banks have security measures, and all money is insured by the FBI, he added.

"It's difficult when robberies are on the increase, but people should feel safe when they come to any bank," Klein said. "Bank robberies are something all banks take very seriously."

The robbery remains an open investigation, and anyone with information on the incident is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.