Halloween group seeks input

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]HACMeeting_BF[/media-credit]The Halloween Action Committee held its first public meeting Thursday evening to receive student input and unveil its new campaign, titled "Freakfest on State Street."

The HAC, led by University of Wisconsin students Brandon Sivret and Tom Wangard, is an organization working with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's office to create an evening that is enjoyable and safe for both students and city officials.

"We started off as a reactionary group hoping to move the celebration to a different street, but since then we've started talking about some of the city's concerns to see where they are coming from," Wangard said.

The three main goals of the HAC, he added, have been the elimination of the original 50,000-person capacity on State Street, the elimination of police guarding entrances to control intoxication levels and the addition student input on entertainment. Wangard explained by working with the mayor instead of against him, HAC has successfully accomplished its first two goals.

"Tom and I can sit here and show everyone our perfect vision of what Halloween in Madison can be, but that's not what this is," Sivret added. "[Halloween] is about everyone in this room — it's students, it's the city … and tonight is our attempt to facilitate input."

Students and the HAC exchanged ideas about possible entertainment for the event at the meeting. Wangard said the group is pushing for two stages on State Street, featuring several local bands and one big name group. He also said the HAC has contacted both O.A.R. and Sugarcult about performing for "Freakfest on State Street."

But despite the group's best efforts to address all issues of Halloween celebration, spectators at the public meeting expressed concerns with the HAC's potential liability should something go wrong at the event.

Joel Plant, Madison's alcohol policy coordinator, said the city is in the process of receiving street permits, which would define the exact area of liability. Even though the HAC is becoming involved with the Halloween planning process, it is unlikely they would be singled out as the only party liable for any accidents or damages, he added.

"These days, there's very little that prevents any individual or any organization from being sued for anything at any time," Plant argued. "Is there some risk associated with taking the lead on this and trying to synthesize student support and getting input? There probably is, but it's not something [Sivret and Wangard] are going to need to buy liability coverage for."

Sivret also said the risk of having the HAC associated with violence or resistance to police is not something he is worried about. From the beginning, the HAC made its good, non-violent intentions quite clear, he added.

The ultimate goal of the HAC, Wangard noted, is to get the word out to students that they do have a say in how "Freakfest on State Street" is run.

"Keep bringing the same feedback we heard tonight. The best thing to do right now is let everyone on campus know," he said.

For students interested in further discussion, there will be a Town Hall Meeting regarding Halloween on Wednesday, Sept. 13, in room 165 of Bascom Hall. Students interested in helping the HAC can visit www.hacmadison.com.