Madison to repair, replace plumbing

In his 2007 capital budget, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz plans to invest $16.4 million in Madison's water utility system in an effort to improve the quality of drinking water for city residents.

According to George Twigg, spokesperson for the mayor, the city will purchase a $2.4 million water filter for an east side well and increase spending by 188 percent for the replacement and construction of water mains.

Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, who is a member of the Board of Water Commissions, said the problem with the city's current system is simply its age.

"Everything beneath the streets is getting old, and if we don't start to repair, we are going to have more problems and citizen complaints," she said. "It's an incredible investment, and it's what we should be doing as a city."

Much of the infrastructure and underground water systems were put in place in a time of rapid growth after World War II, so Twigg said the upgrade is much needed.

Despite poor infrastructure, board member Jonathan Standridge said Madison has a high quality water supply. The only major problem came from east side well No. 29, he said, because deposits of manganese are inside the well instead of only in the pipelines. Manganese deposits do not present serious health risks, Standridge said, but they do turn water either brown or black and can stain things like clothing.

But Cnare said with the $2.4 million water filter, the problem would be solved. The filter would last for 20 years, she said, and would prove much less expensive than several other alternatives.

"The mayor is really to be commended on coming forth with this," Standridge said. "As a water board member, I'm just delighted the water is getting the attention and funding it needs."

Though this year's spending on the water utility system marks a large increase over last year's budget of $10.4 million, Twigg said replacing water mains is an annual process.

In fact, Standridge explained the extra funding in the budget will work to increase the rate at which pipes are replaced. Where the city was running behind in previous years, he added, officials hope to make up ground and equip streets with better-quality pipes.

Standridge also said the newer pipes will be easier to clean and flush out, contributing to the high quality water supply Madison provides.

"The water we have in Madison is of great quality, and good water is the right of all the people who live here," he said. "City water costs a tenth of a cent per gallon, and the truth of the matter is the quality of the tap water in Madison is better than any bottle you can get from the store."

According to Cnare, Madison is not alone with these difficulties, as water quality is an issue in many other cities. Yet the mayor's $16.4 million dedication to bringing the best quality water to residents is a wise and appreciated effort, she said.

"There are few things more important than being able to provide good drinking water," Twigg said. "It is essential for both health and safety [and] will come with a price, but it's a price we have to pay."