AG mudslinging targets Laughtenschlager DUI

Republican attorney general candidate Paul Bucher continued a barrage of negative ads Tuesday, as he became the second candidate in the race to cite incumbent Democratic Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager's arrest for drunken driving.

Bucher's radio ad references Lautenschlager's 2004 citation and her .12 blood alcohol level in criticizing her for not being more committed to curbing drunken driving. Lautenschlager's Democratic primary opponent, Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, also mentioned the incident in a TV ad unveiled Friday.

"Enough is enough," Bucher said in a Tuesday release. "In recent days, I've watched as the Attorney General, and my Republican primary opponent [J.B. Van Hollen], have minimized the seriousness of drunk driving."

Throughout the race, Bucher and Falk have advocated criminalizing first-offense drunken driving and roadside checkpoints. Each has pushed negative campaigning, including those against Van Hollen, in hopes of reaching the position of the state's top cop.

Adam Collins, communications director for Falk's campaign, said Falk's ad was a response to Lautenschlager's initial ad attack on Falk.

"The TV ad was a response to Lautenschlager's negative attack," he said. "Our idea is to mainly focus on Kathleen's record of accomplishments and her vision for the office in what issues are important as attorney general."

Yet despite any reference to her arrest and conviction, Lautenschlager said her mistake has provided her with insight on the issue of drunken driving.

"Especially with my DUI, [drunken driving] has generated a major political response," she said in a previous interview. "Clearly, in a personal way, I have talked about the issue in the context of my own citation."

With all of the mudslinging in the attorney general race, some believe voter turnout will decline.

"What drives down participation are negative ads," Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause in Wisconsin, said. "There are more negative ads in this race than ever before in such a race in Wisconsin's history."

The Democratic and Republican candidates are scheduled to debate today at the Milwaukee Press Club in Milwaukee. Lautenschlager and Falk will debate each other at 12:30 p.m., and Bucher and Van Hollen will debate at 2 p.m.