Nazis sound off at Capitol

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]nazi2_js[/media-credit]Members of the Nazi Party drew a vocal crowd of supporters and hundreds of protesters when they spoke against immigration laws at the Capitol Aug. 26.

According to the National Socialist Movement's Rally Report, the event was a "huge victory" for the group, drawing 80 party members and about 40 NSM supporters. But those supporters were met by an estimated 1,000 spectators, some of them engaging in a counter-rally of their own.

Kris Johnson, the Nazi Socialist Movement's Wisconsin Leader, said the major purpose of the Madison rally was to educate people about the Nazi movement.

"A lot of people have something to say about [the NSM], and we wanted everyone to come out and hear us," he said. "But we also want people to listen to what we have to say, not prejudge what they think we are going to say."

In addition to educating about the NSM, Johnson said the goal of the rally was to speak about stopping all illegal and non-white immigration to America. He also said the party has set procedures to stop immigration which, unlike current policies, will "get the job done."

Yet, many of the spectators at the rally, including Jesse Zarley, a member of the No Nazis in Madison Coalition, attended to send the message that immigrants are welcome here.

"[The NSM] are coming to intimidate the immigrant community specifically … and to strike fear into a community," Zarley said. "I think they are coming as a show of strength that they can march to liberal Madison and spew their hate."

Despite the loud chanting and gesturing from spectators, Johnson said the NSM was unaffected by the counter rally. The party worked with police to separate the speakers from the crowd, which allowed the rally to run peacefully, he added.

"A lot of people don't bother to take a look at what we're trying to say, and we expect there's going to be people like that out there," Johnson said. "But we're prepared for it, and in working with the police we arranged a situation where we got our message out and where people could make an intelligent decision on what they think about it."

Even though the NSM accomplished their goal, Zarley said the counter-rally also achieved its goal of a diverse, large, non-violent crowd.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the rally ran as smoothly as possible with only five total arrests, four of them for disorderly conduct. Similar rallies around the country resulted in riots, property damage and excessive violence, he added, and city officials and police were pleased with the overall outcome.

Though the rally resulted in a non-violent outcome, Verveer said he hopes it was the last time the NSM ever visits Madison.

"We are relieved to have this thing behind us, and I hope they never come back," he said. "Obviously it was an exercise in the First Amendment right of free speech, but their hatred is something I never want to see displayed in Madison again."