Smokers enjoying cigars at Maduro

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]maduro_JS[/media-credit]When the citywide smoking ban went into effect last summer and banned the sale of tobacco, local Maduro Cigar Bar suffered serious economic losses.

But since the approval of a cigar bar exemption in late March, the local establishment has embraced the returning business that has helped recover those losses.

"We've regained a lot of cigar business back that we had lost almost completely," Maduro owner Brian Haltinner said. "The customers come in and they're happy that they can be back and that cigars can come in."

Usually, when the cold winter weather settled into the city, the local cigar bar would see a small dip in tobacco sales. But when the controversial smoking ban went into effect in July, the small dip turned into a significant drop.

"While we had our outdoor seating [when the smoking ban went into effect], we immediately lost 25 percent," Haltinner said. "Once the cold weather hit, we were down to a 40 percent drop in sales."

Seeing the local business in his district suffer economically, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, proposed an amendment to the ban, which would allow tobacco products — except cigarettes — to be smoked in designated establishments.

The exemption did not pass easily, as Verveer reworked the proposal two times before it was finally passed by the City Council on the third try.

"The one that ultimately did pass was quite narrow," George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said. "It has a stronger enforcement language and was certainly a better proposal than the ones before it."

The basis of the exemption only allows patrons to smoke certain tobacco products in establishments that attribute at least 10 percent of their revenue to tobacco sales.

While the mayor did not prefer to pass an exemption, Twigg noted enforcement of the amendment is strict. The exemption requires establishments to submit paperwork regarding the number of tobacco sales, which must be signed off by an independent accountant.

But passing the exemption to help local businesses survive, Twigg said, was a decision with two strong arguments.

"On one hand, there's a certain common sense argument that cigar bars should be exempted because their primary business is selling tobacco products," he remarked. "On the other hand, we are hearing a lot from regular bars saying this would be unfair and start creating an unlevel playing field."

But Twigg noted the exemption did suit the council, adding Cieslewicz could have vetoed the exemption.

"At this point, the cigar bar exemption has been enacted, and the mayor's content to see how that plays out," Twigg said.

Haltinner said both customers and employees are now pleased to see steady business once again. He added employees are picking up extra shifts and the cigar bar may look to expand its staff for the summer.

Additionally, Twigg said the exemption has not, so far, created any slippery-slope effect.

"The mayor likes to see local businesses succeed, but sometimes there are policy issues that run up against that desire," he noted. "Right now, the smoking ban is put to rest for now."

And with the exemption, Haltinner looks to embrace incoming business all summer.

"During the entire fight, we weren't interested in gaining advantage," he said. "We just wanted back our core business, and we're anticipating a good, strong summer."