Wilson starts as chancellor

The new chancellor of the University of Wisconsin Colleges and UW Extension, David Wilson, completed his first day in office Monday.

His position marks the beginning of a merger between the two institutions, with the condensation of two separate chancellors to just one position overseeing both UW Colleges and UW Extension.

"It has been an incredible first day," Wilson said. "I love the new position. It is a wonderful opportunity to provide leadership for two outstanding institutions."

According to UW System spokesperson Doug Bradley, Wilson will have big shoes to fill, as he is taking over all responsibilities previously handled by two separate administrators. Yet Bradley is optimistic about what Wilson can do in this new position.

"He has done extraordinary things already, and we are lucky to have found him," Bradley said. "We have no small challenges here in Wisconsin, but we have the right person."

While Wilson brings with him a long list of accomplishments — including two degrees from Tuskegee Institute and two from Harvard University, numerous fellowships, a position as vice president for university outreach and associate provost at Auburn University, and an integral role in planning efforts that led to the founding of the University of Namibia in southwest Africa — he credits much of his motivation to his unique past.

Wilson, the youngest of 10 and the child of sharecroppers, grew up in Alabama and did not attend school for full five-day weeks until seventh grade. He was the first in his family to attend college.

"It almost got the best of me," he said. "But I persevered and I was determined not to let that system win."

Looking back on years of education, Wilson said he pays particular attention to what his mother offered him. She would plaster the walls of their "shanty" with articles from TIME Magazine not only to block the wind, but to provide her children with something to look up to.

"By reading the stories on the wall, I could learn about the world without ever leaving the shack," Wilson said. "[My experience] has given me an insatiable appetite for learning and an appreciation for diversity."

Wilson added his childhood experience significantly influenced the way he chose to use his talents, as evidenced by his extensive work in higher education.

"I saw education as the answer then, and I see education as the answer now," he said.

And, according to Wilson, UW Colleges provide unique avenues for students to have access to higher-level education, and UW Extension allows Wisconsin residents to take advantage of the "wonderful research" coming out of the UW System and elevate the state to a higher level of economic standing.

Director of public information for UW Extension David Giroux said that for the time being, "we still have two separate institutions," and there is no specific timeline for when that will change.

"It is entirely likely that there will be a more complete merger, but that is not guaranteed," he said. "We're leaving all options open."

Yet Wilson maintains that within a "reasonable period of time," there will be a blending of administrative functions between the two institutions, and he said by spring 2007, he expects to come forward with a plan for the future.