Landmarks may expand locally

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]landmarks_bf[/media-credit]Members of the city's Landmarks Commission unanimously approved Monday two more downtown buildings that will be considered for city landmark status.

The University of Wisconsin Dairy Barn and longtime establishment the Castle and Doyle Building are now only a City Council approval away from this historic status.

"[Both buildings] are significant in their architectural character as well as their social significance," Ald. Judy Olson, District 6, said at the Monday meeting.

John Henley, member of the Wisconsin Trust for Historic Preservation, submitted the UW Dairy Barn, located at 1915 Linden Dr., for nomination.

Henley said the nomination was made on the basis that the building is already considered a national landmark.

Joe Lusson, president of the Madison Trust for Historical Preservation, also expressed his support for the designation of both buildings.

The UW Dairy Barn "was hugely instrumental in making Wisconsin such a leader in the dairy industry," Lusson said, noting the building has "beautiful architecture."

Lusson said a university program known as the Short Course Program — a program where farmers can come to campus to study — also uses the building, which has helped to "greatly advance dairy production in the state."

Additionally, Jason Tish, a member of the Madison Trust for Historic Preservation, nominated the Castle and Doyle Building — located at 125 State St. — and recommended the building on the basis of its noteworthy architecture.

"Castle and Doyle is one of the prettiest commercial buildings in all of Madison," Lusson said. "It has a beautiful, ornate terracotta façade."

In addition to its architectural beauty, the Castle and Doyle Building also played an important role in Madison's history, as it was one of city's first fire stations, he said.

The building has existed since the "horse-drawn fire-fighting days," Lusson added.

If approved as city landmarks, any architectural alterations to these buildings would have to be approved by the Landmarks Commission.

"Something that's a landmark can be altered, but it has to come before the Landmarks Commission to guarantee its [alterations are] tasteful," Lusson said.

The City Council will vote May 15 on whether or not to approve these recommendations.

"Both the university and the owners of these buildings support the designation of these buildings," Olson said. "I have no reason to believe that the Council will turn down these recommendations."