Moped crash hospitalizes UW football player

[media-credit name=’Courtesy of Tom Mand’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]moped_mm[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin football player Joe Monty suffered lacerations and fractures after crashing his moped into another vehicle early Friday morning.

Monty, a senior defensive end, was driving on North Park Street approaching West Dayton Street around 1:49 a.m. when he collided with the rear of another vehicle.

"He was on a moped and without a helmet," Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said. "The vehicle stopped at the intersection [for a red light], and the moped crashed into it."

Monty was taken to the university hospital, as he suffered several lacerations to his face and legs, according to Hanson.

As of Friday, both Hanson and UW Director of Athletic Communications Justin Doherty said Monty was not released from the hospital and could not provide further comment on his eventual release.

"He was hospitalized, and his injuries are not life-threatening," Doherty said. "But as far as his release, we do not have that information at this time."

Hanson did note alcohol was a factor in the accident for both parties involved.

Hanson could not further elaborate on how much alcohol was consumed by either Monty or the driver of the other vehicle.

Although additional information remains unknown, Hanson said the police department will work to figure out the details of the accident within the upcoming weeks.

"It was a serious incident, and a lot of people had seen what had gone on," he added. "We'll have one of our officers talk to both parties again and try and get an exact statement from each of them."

Moped accidents are not uncommon in Madison, as many students buy mopeds as an alternative to cars or bicycles.

"They're nice vehicles to buzz around in, especially in the downtown area," Hanson said. "But when they mix alcohol, [do] not wear a helmet, travel as fast as 35 miles per hour and then hit something at a dead stop, it can be a potential deadly situation."

Monty, a native of Ft. Collins, Colo., started 12 of 13 games for the Badgers football team last season. He also earned the team's Jay Seiler Coaches Appreciation Award, annually given to the player who contributed to the team's success to the best of his abilities.

Attempted Sexual Assault

Police are also investigating an attempted sexual assault that occurred later that morning on the 500 block of North Park Street.

According to a police press release, the suspect approached the victim, a 22-year-old UW student, around 8 a.m. Friday and made physical contact with her.

The woman pulled away from the suspect, screamed and fell to the pavement, suffering a minor injury, according to the release.

The suspect fled on foot toward Lake Mendota and is described as a Hispanic male wearing a rugby polo shirt, baggy blue denim shorts, a white visor cap, white socks and white shoes.