Crazylegs attracts thousands

[media-credit name=’MEGHAN CONLIN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]crazylegs_mc[/media-credit]While approximately 10 to 15 thousand people packed Mifflin Street Saturday, drinking and partying from morning until evening, more than 13,000 decided to do something a little bit healthier.

And some people decided to do both.

The 25th annual Crazylegs Classic race was held April 29, drawing a reported 13,305 participants.

Avoiding most of the rainy weather that marred the Mifflin Street Block Party, race organizer Terry Murawski said the annual eight-kilometer run/wheelchair race and two-mile walk benefiting University of Wisconsin athletics went "great."

"We were very thrilled with the number of participants," said Murawski, who is also the director of the National W Club.

Murawski added that organizers did not yet calculate the amount of money raised, but called this year's Crazylegs race the "most financially successful event we had."

The race this year was marked by two significant changes.

The first was to the race's course, which — for the first time in the event's history — did not take participants down State Street.

Due to construction on the 300 block of the popular pedestrian mall, organizers were forced to reroute part of the course to Langdon Street.

However, according to Murawski, the detour did not cause any problems for the participants.

"State Street is certainly one of the landmarks of Madison, and it makes for a fun event, but the construction sent us up Langdon Street," Murawski said. "And we actually enjoyed Langdon. The houses supported our runners. They played music, cheered our runners on."

The second change was to the race's start times.

Instead of starting at one time, participants were divided into groups based on ability and started at different time intervals.

"It spread the participants over the race course and led to a safer, more enjoyable race," Murawski said. "The feedback was overwhelmingly positive."

UW sophomore and Crazylegs participant Rachel Wingers supported Murawski's sentiment.

"It was a lot of fun, especially running down Langdon with everyone cheering for you," Wingers said. "It gives you more incentive to go faster."

Wingers said after the race she hit up the Mifflin Street Block Party, but admitted she didn't stay long because she was "pretty tired."

With another successful race, Murawski said Madison residents could look forward to another Crazylegs Classic next year.

"We've been doing it for 25 years," Murawski said. "There's no reason to stop doing this."