ASM textbook plan to take flight in fall

Many University of Wisconsin students stand to pay less for textbooks next semester with the launching of an Associated Students of Madison-sponsored pilot textbook rental program.

Students enrolled in Sociology 134 with Professor Ruth Turley, Zoology 101 with Professor Sharon Thoma and Philosophy 101 with Professor Martha Gibson will be able to rent textbooks for those classes from ASM for a lower price than what on-campus bookstores charge.

The advertised distribution period will be from Aug. 29 to Sept. 15, but eligible students will be able to rent textbooks throughout the semester.

Stephanie Biese, chair of the ASM Academic Affairs Committee, which spearheaded the initiative, said the root cause of heightened textbook prices across the country lies with the textbook publishers. But this program will help students at UW, she noted.

"Instead of targeting the publishers, which is what a lot of people are doing around the country, this is a way we can help locally as well," Biese said.

Biese added the goal of the program is to have rental fees at a price level that is beneficial to students and the textbook rental business at the same time.

According to Biese, under the program, an $80 textbook that would normally be marked up to approximately $110 by an on-campus bookstore would be sold to students for much less. If a student rented that same $80 textbook, Biese said that student would pay $80 upfront and receive approximately $55 after returning the book — ultimately paying $25 for the textbook.

"It's really something that is usually not seen at universities this big, so it is really awesome to provide student services that will really benefit," Biese said of the cost-cutting opportunity.

Turley said she predicts everything to "go smoothly" in the inaugural semester of the textbook rental system at UW.

She added that along with saving students money through a rather simple procedure, the reduced textbook prices take weight off her conscience as well.

"Some of the books I use are rather expensive so I don't have to feel bad about using them," Turley said.

Turley added she does not see this program immediately affecting bookstores on campus since there are only three classes participating next semester.

However, if more instructors participate in the future, Turley said bookstores could face repercussions.

"If it does have an effect in the long-run it will probably be a positive effect for the students because the bookstores would have to lower their prices," she said.

And Biese noted she has high expectations for the future of the new program.

Although the textbook rental system only applies to three classes for next fall, Biese said she hopes more professors will participate in following semesters.

Appealing to professors of introductory courses has been the initial focus of AAC, Biese added.

"The program is set up so it will not only be able to sustain itself, but also to grow," she said.

However, Biese said she anticipates an even greater number of students having the advantage of textbook rental — she hopes to one day have upper level classes available for rent as well.

Biese noted this type of program is not common at universities of "our prestige," and if students at UW make the most of the money-saving textbook rental system, other universities may use UW as a model.

"I hope the students recognize the wonderful service and use it to their advantage," Biese said.