State jobless rate jumps

Statistics are suggesting the job market for students in the University of Wisconsin System is looking brighter than it did one year ago, despite February's increase in unemployment rates.

The Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development announced Wednesday that the statewide unemployment rate has dropped two-tenths of a percent since last year to 5.7 percent.

"We are getting out of the woods," DWD spokesperson Rose Lynch said. "It is getting better every year."

But statistics also show statewide unemployment numbers have increased from January to February 2006, in a fluctuation said to be typical this time of the year.

According to Lynch, the increase can be attributed to holiday employment. January numbers still reflect people who worked during the holiday season and have completed their employment by the time February statistics arrive, she said.

Additionally, when Wisconsin unemployment rates do rise to a significant level, the job sectors most affected are largely determined by what season it is.

"We are a seasonal state," Lynch said. "In a winter month, some of our outdoor activities and work can lose jobs. At the end of the summer, when the tourist industry winds down, that is also a time when jobs can be reduced."

These seasonal fluctuations span Wisconsin, with Madison's unemployment rates specifically increasing by a half percent in the last month.

However, some area lawmakers maintain the increase is not a likely cause for concern.

"A small change in one month is not indicative of any lasting trend," Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said.

Black added that it is not possible to draw any broad conclusions about Madison-area employment from one month's unemployment rates.

Overall, all 12 of Wisconsin's metropolitan areas — including Madison — demonstrated lower February 2006 unemployment rates when compared to those of one year ago.

When it comes to University of Wisconsin System students, Lynch said Wisconsin is trying to provide recent graduates with jobs to keep them in the state.

"We want our UW graduates to stay in Wisconsin. We know that we tend to lose many of our graduates to other states," Lynch said.

Lynch added that other states know that UW System students graduate with a "wonderful work ethic," and are therefore eager to lure them away.

To prevent recent graduates from moving to larger cities where jobs are more plentiful, Madison is trying to improve its job outlook.

"We try to pursue policies that enable local business to expand and create jobs. Hopefully that, combined with the local economic climate, will make that possible," George Twigg, spokesperson for Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said.

A breakdown of the February 2006 unemployment rates by county attributes the highest rates to Menominee, Bayfield and Adams counties.