U.S. presence in Iraq heading for ballots across Wisconsin

The debate over the War in Iraq will go to the polls next week, as cities across Wisconsin are gearing up to weigh in on whether U.S. troops should be brought home.

In a series of non-binding referendums in 31 cities, towns and villages statewide, voters will cast their ballots a week from today in an effort to voice their opinions to the president.

"[G]iving people a voice is very important," Wisconsin Green Party Co-Chair Ruth Weill said. "It's giving the voice to the citizens whether they vote 'yes' or 'no' about what their country is doing."

As the key force behind the referendum movement, the state's Green Party collected enough signatures in cities across the state to put the issue on dozens of spring ballots, hoping to bolster anti-war momentum.

While anti-war advocates hope April's referendums will send a strong message to President George W. Bush and the U.S. Congress, others raise concerns that the votes will only send the wrong type of messages — namely to terrorist propagandists and the U.S. troops stationed in Iraq.

Some Bush loyalists pointed to the referendums as nothing short of a blatant invitation for terrorists to attack a divided American public. Others — war supporters and opponents alike — said the referendums would discourage and dishearten the U.S. troops.

According to Mike Prentiss, spokesperson for U.S. Army Reserves Lt. Col. and Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, the anti-war groups lobbying for immediate withdrawal seem to be missing the point.

"You don't end military presence of this magnitude overnight and I don't know if a lot of anti-war people know or appreciate this fact," Prentiss said. "The worst thing we can do is to send signals to the troops that we don't appreciate their sacrifice and their work."

As citizens continue to argue over whether the referendums are justified, some are reminding the public these referendums are only advisory in purpose and bear no immediate impact.

"They don't have direct effects and I don't think anyone would argue that they would," University of Wisconsin political science professor Jon Pevehouse said.

But Pevehouse added the referendums could indirectly affect foreign policy by potentially sending a strong constituent message to members of Congress.

And a strong constituent message is exactly what Green Party members said they are hoping for.

"The message of the people of the United States is going to dictate a lot of what is going to happen," Weill said. "And that's part of our goal."

While referendum supporters maintain the vote will empower Wisconsin citizens, opponents counter the referendum will only further divide the state.

According to Lance Burri, a resident of one the cities holding referendums in April, he has recently noticed a political stir throughout Baraboo, as residents consider and debate the issue.

Baraboo City Administrator Ed Geick, however, said he has not witnessed much controversy surrounding the referendum.

But Pevehouse said the referendums will continue to spark debate.

"It keeps Iraq on the front burner. It keeps it in the media," he said. "That's something opponents of the war want. The more Iraq stays in the headlines, the more unpopular it's going to get."

While controversy surrounding the Iraq War continues to escalate, the outcomes of the 31 referendums remain uncertain.

Excluding Madison, many of the cities represent traditionally conservative voting bases. Experts, however, said it is difficult to predict the outcomes, as the vote will most likely not be split only according to party lines.