Building concerning, some say

Members of the Vilas Neighborhood Association met Wednesday night to discuss the possible construction of a six-story building at the intersection of Monroe Street and Regent Street.

The Fieldhouse Station project, proposed by Sieger Architects, would consist of retail space on the main level, office space on the second level and residential lofts on the remaining four levels.

Bob Sieger, principal architect and owner of the building for the last 12 years, believes redevelopment of the building is necessary because, in its current form, the building is "a total inefficient use of space."

"[The redevelopment] is intended to be a very creative approach to architectural design that should bring more energy to the street," Sieger said.

Although Sieger believes the redevelopment would boost commercial business in the area, residents of the neighborhood voiced concerns with the traffic that would result from the construction, as well as the height of the building.

But according to Sieger, the project would only result in a maximum increase of 15 cars per hour passing through the intersection of Monroe Street and Regent Street, in addition to the 33,000 cars the already pass the intersection daily.

"The neighborhood traffic is not an issue. The only thing that will change is the size of the building," Sieger said.

Dan Freely, who has lived in the Vilas neighborhood since 1954, disagreed with Sieger's statements.

"Although he's telling us differently, I know that traffic is going to be affected by the project," Freely said.

Richard Scott, a member of the VNA who has lived in the neighborhood for the last 15 years, said "the traffic problems have not been answered."

Residents of the area seemed to support the idea of redevelopment in the area but not in the form of a six-story building.

Scott believed the proposal is "a good idea, but a bad fit."

"I think it's way too tall. Four stories would be just fantastic and a much better fit with neighborhood," he added.

Like Scott, Freely said he did not support the proposal because the building proposed is too tall.

Scott stressed the neighbors are not opposed to the redevelopment itself, admitting that redevelopment on that corner is needed.

"Some retail and condos would be a good idea," Scott said. "But not to this scale."

Although Sieger recognizes neighbors' concerns with the building's height, he said there needs to be a balance between the residents of the area near the stadium and near Monroe Street.

"There's a fine line between respecting the neighbors that are to the South and the scale of [Camp Randall], which is our neighbor to the North," he said.

Sieger and the VNA will meet again on April 5 to further discuss the proposal.