UW to offer summer internship program

This summer, the University of Wisconsin will begin offering students internships at major international companies through a program called International Academic Internships Initiative (IAII).

International Studies Dean Gilles Bousquet called the program a "joint initiative" between the International Studies program, the Business School, the College of Engineering and the Biology program.

Although these four fields of study are the main concentrations involved, students of any major can apply.

By participating in this internship program, students get professional work experience abroad, as well as receive academic credit.

"In today's world, if you want to be competitive in the long run, you need international experience," Bousquet said.

Bousquet said it is often difficult for students to find international internships and unlikely for them to receive credit for their internships.

"We wanted to facilitate both ends," Bousquet said.

According to Loren Kuzuhara, senior lecturer in the School of Business and the new director of the IAII, the international internship program is "an intensive program."

A one-week orientation precedes the actual internship and allows students to adapt to the foreign environments — a process Kuzuhara called developing "cultural intellect."

The internship itself lasts eight to 12 weeks and includes a project that requires working with a supervisor and making recommendations to the company the student works for.

Total cost for a summer internship ranges from $2,000-$2,500, depending on the student's residency.

But according to Kuzuhara, most employers would provide compensation.

Bousquet said that students have shown a vast interest in the international internship program.

The IAII is aiming to send 10 students abroad for internships, and Bousquet said approximately 50 students have already applied.

"We are trying to start off with fairly modest goals," Kuzuhara said. "It is not just about finding anybody."

Business School Dean Michael Knetter emphasized the influence the international internship will have on students' futures.

"Almost all business today is global business," Knetter said. "A well-rounded businessperson needs a global perspective."