Freshman appear for hate crime charges

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]hate_crime_rpBW[/media-credit]Two University of Wisconsin-Madison freshmen appeared in Dane County Court last week on hate crime charges stemming from a Dec. 21 incident in Ogg Hall.

Benjamin Chamberlain, 19, of Crystal Lake, Ill., waived his right to a preliminary hearing, while fellow UW freshman Michael Riha, 19, of Madison, Ill., is scheduled to attend a preliminary hearing April 4.

Auburn University freshman Caleb Moore and Purdue University freshman Kevin Cochacki, who both face hate crime charges as well, have yet to appear in Dane County Court but are currently scheduled for their initial appearances April 27.

According to a police report, one of the four students ripped an LGBT poster off the door of an LGBT liaison in Ogg Hall and wrote "I hate f-cking f-ggots! Die." on the liaison's white board.

If convicted, Chamberlain, Cochacki and Moore could each face up to three years in prison and $20,000 in fines. Riha faces an additional charge of obstructing an officer. This charge came from repeated changes to his story to UWPD Detective Carol Ann Glassmaker, according to the criminal complaint.

Riha could receive an additional $10,000 fine or nine months in jail.

The only physical contact referenced in the report was not part of the criminal charges and does not appear to be malicious in nature.