Cieslewicz: affordable housing works in Madison

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz continues to endorse Madison's inclusionary zoning, or affordable housing, ordinance. During a press conference Wednesday Cieslewicz publicized the sale of six new affordable housing units at the Livingston Condominium development.

"Part of the idea behind this event is to underscore the fact that IZ, fundamentally, is a good idea, and it's working," Cieslewicz said, despite recent criticism from urban developers who say the law limits them.

Cieslewicz did recognize the ordinance still needs some modifications.

"I think the plan commission is doing a great work in terms of painstakingly going through the IZ ordinance," he said. "[The commission is] weighing different options on how the ordinance can be improved."

Cieslewicz added the City Council will create an ad hoc committee comprised of alderpersons, real estate agency representatives, the public and others to help speed up the modification process.

"The idea is to have conversations that are more informal," he said.

The focus will primarily rest on marketing more than 300 inclusionary zoning units built in Madison.

Common Wealth Development, a local non-profit company, marketed the Livingston Condominium's IZ units with the project developer.

According to Marianne Morton, executive director, Common Wealth's involvement has added value to the IZ ordinance.

"Everybody worked together and made it a very successful partnership," Morton said.

Overall, Morton echoed the mayor's sentiments on the success of the ordinance.

"It's a great model to show how we can make inclusionary zoning in the future work," said.

Successful marketing of IZ units requires creative work, but it can help build a "greater community for everyone," Morton said.

In addition to marketing aid, Common Wealth Development established a "simple" equity model, Cieslewicz said. According to Morton, this eliminates transaction costs and can help stabilize neighborhoods.

"Over time it keeps the price from running," Morton said of the model. "We think it's very important … to keep that home ownership opportunity out there."

And according to Cieslewicz, marketing IZ units is not creating a gap in affordable housing and commercial units in Madison. Instead, he argues, it is important for developers to understand they cannot create two types of standards.