Whitewater’s Jones remains absent

Former University of Wisconsin-Whitewater dean Lee Jones has not shown up to class this semester after he was demoted to his backup position as professor last year.

UW-Whitewater released an audit of Jones last December detailing the university's reasoning behind the demotion, citing failure to follow documentation guidelines when using funds in support of non-university events.

Jones' contract guaranteed his employment with professorship as his backup position. He was slated to teach four courses this semester but is still absent from his teaching post.

According to Sara Kuhl, director of news and publications at UW-Whitewater, "Jones has provided a medical excuse and it's been accepted [by the university]."

The requirement of a medical excuse after five days' absence is part of the new policy instituted by the Board of Regents last fall following a sick leave scandal at UW-Madison.

Regent Charles Pruitt, chair of the Board's Business, Finance and Audit Committee that proposed the new sick leave policy, said he is "satisfied" with how the policy is being handled at UW-Whitewater.

Pruitt also said the new policy is clear and tightly written, leaving little room for loopholes or mishandling.

"I think every indication to this point is that [Chancellor Martha Saunders] is instituting the new sick leave policy," he said. "It's an ongoing process."

Attorney David Lasker, who is representing Jones in this case, also noted Jones is meeting all requirements of the sick leave policy. Jones is currently receiving sick pay.

But Jones' case does not end with his demotion, Lasker said.

Last December Jones filed a racial discrimination and retaliation complaint against campus administration with the state of Wisconsin. He claims the intense criticism he was subject to from the university, along with his demotion, came about because of his race.

"The word 'target' has never been more aptly used," Lasker said of the university's actions toward Jones. "The vice chancellor and provost [Richard Telfer] undertook to conduct an audit knowing that [he] could use it for the purpose of stripping [Jones] of his deanship."

According to Lasker, his client's case resulted from a national conference for the Brothers of the Academy, of which Jones is a founding member. The group's meeting took place on the UW-Madison campus and was organized to promote the interests of racial minorities. Jones received letters of support from the provost and chancellor at UW-Whitewater, the governor, UW System President Kevin Reilly and UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley, Lasker said.

The cost of the previous year's conference amounted to about $70,000, and Jones warned the provost that not all funds could be raised from outside support, Lasker noted.

"The provost pretend[ed] he didn't know anything about this," Lasker said. "[That] is completely false."

The racial discrimination complaint is currently awaiting the responsive pleading from the legal counsel for the UW System; the response deadline is coming up later this month.

Lasker said he expects "vigorous denial of every allegation" from the UW System, in which case a fact-finding investigation would follow.