Governor travels to Iraq, visits troops

Surprising many at home and abroad, Gov. Jim Doyle revealed Tuesday that he is currently in Iraq visiting Wisconsin National Guard troops.

The Wisconsin governor — along with Govs. Mike Huckabee, R-Ark.; Rick Perry, R-Tex.; Dave Freudenthal, D-Wyo. — departed Sunday at the invitation of the U.S. Department of Defense.

"I was just very honored and privileged to have a chance to visit with [the troops] and see what they [are] doing," Doyle said in a teleconference from Baghdad. "I want everybody in Wisconsin to know that the troops I have spoken to are in very, very good spirits [and] their morale is very high."

The high morale, Doyle added, is reflective of the troops' confidence in their work and pride in their Wisconsin roots.

"As commander in chief of the Wisconsin National Guard, I have a great interest in seeing how the guard is doing and how it's performing, and also in supporting its members," Doyle said.

According to Doyle, he ate dinner with state soldiers and met with troops at various bases in Kuwait, before later traveling to Baghdad.

Doyle called the trip "hectic," but expressed his appreciation for the opportunity to witness first-hand the mission and military work.

Although the visit has proved informative, Doyle said it has not determined his perspective of the Iraq war.

"I [do not believe] after a day here that I'm ready to declare what the foreign policy of the United States should be in Iraq," Doyle said. "[I will] have time when I get back to reflect on all that."

Despite the ongoing investigation into the governor's suspicious contract award to Adelman Travel, most are not questioning the coincidental timing of the overseas trip.

Bruce Pfaff, campaign manager of gubernatorial hopeful Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, said while he is not suspicious, he is not satisfied with the governor.

"It's not easy to get into Iraq so I'm not going to question the governor's intent," Pfaff said. "But I wish he would be more supportive of the troops and the effort of the troops [by] getting his party in line to support the president and the troops."

Pfaff, however, supported the visit itself and called it worthwhile in terms of its benefits to the troops and boosting their morale.

Wisconsin National Guard Lieutenant Colonel Tim Donovan expressed similar sentiments, elaborating on the benefits shared by both the governor and the troops.

"It's great for troops to see their Commander in Chief and good for a Commander in Chief to see the troops," Donovan said. "I know he'll be impressed by what he sees because he's seeing 1,750 of the best young men and women … in Wisconsin."

According to Doyle, the remainder of his trip will be spent visiting more military sites and witnessing additional operations, though he is under strict orders not to disclose specific scheduled events.

Doyle additionally expressed an opinion shared by many across the state.

"I want to make sure that the Wisconsin troops know that we are supporting them and that people in Wisconsin are thinking of them," Doyle said. "[O]f course, I think everybody in the state hopes that, however you define a mission here, it is done as quickly as possible and that our troops get home safely."

Doyle is expected to return to Wisconsin early next week.