Athletic department wins diversity award

For the first time, the University of Wisconsin athletic department received an award for overall excellence in diversity from the Laboratory for Diversity in Sport at Texas A&M University. UW was one of 10 NCAA Division 1-A athletic departments recognized and the only Big Ten school to receive an award.

Vince Sweeney, senior associate athletic director, said the university is "very excited" to be recognized nationally for its diversity in athletics.

"We're proud of the fact that we've improved in diversity throughout the student-athlete population and employees," Sweeney said, noting UW was not just singled out for one area, but for "overall excellence."

The award aims to reward athletic programs that excel in diversity. Athletic programs were ranked in seven categories according to each university's diversity strategy, diversity of employee sexes, Title IX compliance, racial diversity of department employees, graduation of black male and female students and overall excellence in diversity, a UW release stated.

The rankings were also affected by graduation rates for minority athletes as well as the representation of people of color and women in leadership, administrative and head coaching positions, according to the release.

While Sweeney noted the university has worked in a number of areas to address diversity issues in athletics, he acknowledged UW still has "a lot of work left to do." Still, he said, "it's nice to know [the university is] headed in the right direction."

UW student and Multicultural Student Coalition representative Bradinn French said there has been progress for increasing diversity overall. He commended the UW athletic program for the number of student-athletes of color, particularly black students, who are enrolled at the university.

And to address the diversity issue, French said awards and recognition might also encourage more athletes and students of color to consider applying to UW.

"UW is working towards a more diverse campus," French said, adding the university is moving in the right direction but still has a "long way to go."

While he said there is a "fair amount" of diversity on UW's athletic teams, French noted this representation does not necessarily reflect on the entire student body.

"I don't think we've been making huge strides [with increasing diversity]," he said. "There are certain people within the university who are working real hard, and there are certain people just putting in the effort they're asked to."

Sweeney said officials from the chancellor, the athletics board and the athletic department must continue to communicate the importance of diversity. The university considers diversity a high-priority item, he added.

"For all the people who have worked with us, and those who left us [and] retired, it's nice to have their hard work recognized by an award like this," Sweeney said.

Sweeney jokingly said it would be nice to see some sort of congratulatory plaque.

"We're very proud of it," he said. "It would be nice to display it."

According to a UW release, other athletic programs recognized for overall excellence in diversity included Arizona State University, University of Arizona, University of Buffalo, University of Louisiana-Monroe, University of Nevada, Temple University, University of Tulsa, University of Washington and Washington State University.