Robbery befalls graduate student

A University of Wisconsin graduate student suffered severe facial and head injuries after he was robbed early Wednesday morning, police reported.

According to the police release, the student was walking home around 2:45 a.m. when he was allegedly attacked by two men from behind and pushed to the ground.

Police reported the unidentified suspects then stole the student's wallet and fled.

Madison Police Department Public Informations Officer Mike Hanson said the student appeared to be returning home after finishing research for his Ph.D.

"He had his headphones on and as he was walking, he was struck in the head," he said. "Upon being struck on the head, he was beaten to the ground."

Hanson said the student was taken to a local hospital, as his eye was swollen shut and he suffered other severe head injuries. Upon reaching the victim, police reported he was covered in blood and had other facial lacerations.

According to the police report, medical staff later informed officers that the student suffered a facial fracture.

"We don't have any new updates on his condition," Hanson said. "I think they will do a CAT scan."

UW student Mackenzie Arney said upon hearing the news, it made her aware of campus safety. As a freshman, Arney said she has felt safe in the university's campus, during the day and night.

"I think I'm kind of naive about it, like nothing will ever happen," she said. "But when you hear these stories like this, it makes you feel like you're not."

Arney added the attack on a male student adds more concern about safety for any student on campus.

"I feel especially in this instance that it could happen to anyone," she said.

SAFEwalk and campus police did not return phone calls as of press time.