Committee hears testimony from Reilly, RA

In his first public speaking appearance since catapulting the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire into a firestorm of controversy, resident assistant Lance Steiger received mostly words of encouragement at a legislative hearing Tuesday.

"I think your parents are probably pretty proud of you," state Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said. "In biblical terms, this is a David and Goliath story and you are David, and I think you will win."

In addition to David, legislators also compared Steiger to former Green Bay Packers defensive end Reggie White. State Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, chair of the committee on colleges and universities, even said the UW-Eau Claire senior has gained "international celebrity status."

Although UW-Eau Claire suspended the enforcement of its unwritten policy banning RAs from holding Bible studies in their residence halls Nov. 30, Kreibich's committee proceeded with its scheduled hearing Tuesday. Because Steiger has a lawsuit pending with UW-Eau Claire and the Board of Regents, the hearing was informational in nature.

"I think free speech is very important in our country, that people should be able to stand up and say the most offensive things to some people," Steiger said. "And the other side should be able to stand up and if they have anything to say or [discuss], I think that should happen. Any time free speech is limited, that scares me."

Testifying alongside Steiger were his attorney, Michael Dean of Waukesha, and U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis. Green, a 2006 gubernatorial candidate, flew in from Washington, D.C., to appear at the committee, and in his testimony, he addressed accusations of grandstanding on the controversy.

"Yes, I'm running for governor but I can honestly say I would be raising these same questions if I were not running for anything," Green said. "This policy needs to be permanently rescinded, and hopefully soon. I believe it's unconstitutional. I know it's contrary to the values of the state."

UW System President Kevin Reilly also appeared before the committee, representing the interests of both UW-Eau Claire and the system as a whole.

"These are complex and sensitive questions that go to the heart of our values as a democracy," Reilly said. "It is important that our policies in such serious matters are in line with constitutional requirements, and are consistent throughout the UW System."

Board of Regents President David Walsh, who attended Tuesday's hearing but did not testify, said although he was ultimately satisfied with the discussion, he was discouraged by the focus of some of the committee members.

"What was disappointing to me was that too often people take this issue and they forget what it's all about," Walsh said. "This is all about the location of activities, not whether or not the activities should take place."

Walsh said he tends to side with allowing RAs to exercise their freedom of expression but stressed the need to make sure it is not done in a way that is "intimidating to others around them."

"We want to err on the side of letting them do it," he said. "It's disappointing that some politicians, that some people would overstate the issue for political reasons. It's much simpler and I urge everybody listen to Kevin Reilly's challenge and that is let's use some common sense."

A UW System committee of 14 members representing its campuses statewide has been appointed and will prepare a recommendation on a new system-wide policy Jan. 9.

"We will consider these recommendations — and information from this hearing and from anyone else who wants to weigh in — as we develop a system-wide policy on these issues," Reilly said.