After 16 years, Malchow to leave

Associate Athletic Director for Communications Steve Malchow, who has worked at the University of Wisconsin for 16 years, will leave Madison next semester. He will serve as Senior Associate Athletic Director for Iowa State University.

Among Malchow's responsibilities as an associate athletic director, he is in charge of overseeing all athletic units of communication for UW, including video services, technical services and websites.

After being presented with the opportunity by former UW Deputy Athletic Director Jamie Pollard — currently employed at ISU — Malchow said he decided to leave UW, adding he sees the job as a chance to offer ISU the same success he has witnessed since 1990 at UW.

"Iowa State is primed for something special and I would like to help in the rebuilding process to recreate the magic I've seen here in Wisconsin," Malchow said.

Malchow said he is also looking forward to being closer to his friends and family in his home state of Iowa, but noted he will miss living in the Badger State.

"If there's one thing I miscalculated — [it's] how hard it is going to be to leave the great friends I have here," he said.

According to Malchow, his time here has been extremely rewarding and enjoyable.

"I'm grateful for the relationships I've forged with coaches, the opportunity for international travel, and all the wonderful accomplishments I never thought I'd get to see first hand," he reminisced.

Malchow reflected on the various accomplishments he has had with UW athletics throughout his tenure. He witnessed the effects Barry Alvarez had on the football program, as well as Dick Bennett's team making it to the Final Four, Ron Dayne winning the Heisman Trophy, three Rose Bowl victories "and so much more," he said.

Malchow also said he is proud of the growth of UW's athletic facilities — including the construction of the Kohl Center and the renovation of Camp Randall Stadium — as well as the rise of the women's athletics to national prominence.

"Every little success at Madison was rewarding," he said. "I hope the momentum and positive attitude keeps going. … It has been great to have a front-row seat to the evolution and events of such a great school."

UW Director of Sports Information Justin Doherty said Malchow has given a lot to the university and will be missed by colleagues and friends.

"Steve hired me 12 years ago and he's a fantastic boss and a great friend," Doherty said. "He contributed a ton to the success of the athletic program and a lot of people are going to miss him, including me."

Malchow said he attributes much of the athletic programs' success to former Chancellor Donna Shalala, former Athletic Director Pat Richter, and head football coach Barry Alvarez.

"It was great that these individuals recognized that success within athletics is good for the university as a whole," Malchow said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity to see growth and the cooperation that was given to me throughout my time here."