Cieslewicz signs city budget

Before going deer hunting this weekend, Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz signed the city's 2006 Executive Operating Budget Friday.

Thursday night marked the City Council's last night of discussion with regard to the budget, and the mayor said he felt good about what he and Common Council accomplished in terms of the use of available funds.

"I will have no problem signing the budget when it is passed," he said. "I'm going to sign it Friday morning, and then I'm going deer hunting."

Wednesday night marked the most contentious of the three-evening budget-approval process for Common Council. Madison Metro funding, which dominated the majority of public testimony the night before, was the last amendment discussed before Council recessed. Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, who proposed the amendments to add funding to Metro's budget to ensure there would be no cuts in service, defended the extensive public hearing.

"Why do we have public hearings? The day I'm not moved by a public hearing, take me out back," Golden said. "How can we be criticized for reacting to public hearings? Citizens are telling us what they want, and we are supposed to represent that."

Council approved a total funding increase to Metro of $558,000 across two amendments: $221,000 for regular service and $337,000 for federally mandated para-transit service. Madison Metro Manager Catherine Debo said the increase in funds would not completely ensure Metro will not cut services.

"With this funding, I would not make immediate cuts," Debo said. "We would do what we could to deal with the rising gas prices."

Tuesday's budget meeting, along with four hours of public testimony, included decisions on amendments to the Capital Budget. The Council rejected the amendment to get rid of funding for replacing the seven bus shelters on Capitol Square with four new ones. Ald. Mike Verveer, Dist. 4, described why replacing the shelters is necessary.

"The bottom line on the issue is the comfort of the Metro riders," Verveer said. "These current bus shelters are not user friendly. They are bunkers."

The Council also rejected an amendment to cut funding for the Buckeye Parking Ramp on State Street. The 2006 Capital Budget provides $11.5 million for construction on the ramp. Verveer said construction would not likely begin in 2006, but approving the funding sends the right message to State Street business owners.

"This is a symbolic vote," Verveer said on Tuesday. "If we do not reject this amendment, there will be many upset business owners on State Street. I cannot tell you how many business owners have complained about parking to me."

Ald. Austin King, Dist. 8, proposed an amendment to the Executive Operating Budget providing $5,000 to fund a third party to enforce the city's anti-sweatshop ordinance, which was approved earlier this fall. The Council rejected this amendment.

However, the Council approved King's amendment to provide $20,000 to fund the creation of a Regent Street Master Plan. King, in assessing the overall budget process on Thursday, said there are victories and defeats in any budget process.

"I was disappointed to have one of my amendments rejected by Council on Wednesday," King said. "That was a very important issue to me. But I was pleased to see the Regent Street Master Plan get approved because that is also near and dear to my heart. You're going to win some and lose some."

Common Council approved the entire Capital Budget Wednesday and the Executive Operating Budget Thursday.