UHS to offer free flu vaccinations

To keep students in class and out of the doctor's office this winter, University Health Services announced Wednesday the department will again offer students free flu vaccinations throughout the semester.

As in past years, the vaccinations will be offered on a walk-in basis for all enrolled UW students seeking to safeguard themselves from the seasonal disease.

UHS epidemiologist and physician Craig Roberts said the department offers the vaccines to keep individual students healthy because symptoms often leave them bedridden for multiple days.

"More specifically, it involves [missing] a week of classes," he said.

Because the shots take two weeks to take effect, Roberts said he encourages students, especially those more susceptible to the disease, to receive the vaccination as soon as possible.

"That's why we have them get their flu shots now," he said. "You don't want to wait until it's active in your community or campus."

No cases of influenza have been confirmed in Wisconsin yet this year, but Roberts said the disease is unpredictable and could emerge at any time within the next month.

"There is no typical flu season," he said. "It could be today, it could be a month."

While the vaccine does not provide absolute immunity from or cure the flu, those who receive the shot are less likely to suffer the fever, chills, cough, sore throat and head and muscle aches that accompany the virus.

"Overall, flu shots are about 80 percent effective in young adults, so it's not a guarantee," he said. "Some people will get influenza but have mild effects from it because of the shot."

Though rare, the vaccine can induce fever and aches and soreness around the area where the shot is given. But most people do not experience those effects, which usually wane within one to two days.

Roberts said students who have not contracted the disease in recent years can be especially vulnerable to its symptoms.

"We haven't seen a lot of cases in the last three years," he said, "so people might not have a lot of personal experience with it."

Roberts added students should wash their hands frequently and cover coughs and sneezes to prevent passing or contracting the flu.