Police defend use of mounted officers

While University of Wisconsin students and the Madison Police Department generally had the same goal of participating in a safe Halloween event, disagreement persists regarding the use of mounted patrol on State Street.

The MPD began using the mounted patrol at last year's Halloween celebration. This year, the horses were used as a part of the MPD's managed density plan. Chief Noble Wray, at a post-event press conference, said the plan was a success, due in large part to the mounted patrol.

"I couldn't imagine policing this event without the mounted patrol," Wray said. "They were critical when it came to keeping the crowd moving up and down State Street."

During the event, mounted patrol units, each of which included eight officers, galloped up and down the 400 and 500 blocks of State Street to encourage and sometimes physically force the crowd of revelers to continue on their way.

Ald. Austin King, District 8, said he was relieved that nobody was seriously injured by a horse throughout the course of the night.

"There were more than a few times where I was worried that someone would get trampled," King said. "Thank goodness nobody was seriously hurt."

King said despite the possible dangers associated with the horses, he realizes the mounted patrol served a specific purpose for the MPD.

However, whether revelers were angered by the presence of the mounted patrol or just intrigued by the fact there were horses on State Street, partiers frequently petted, slapped, smacked and even punched the horses as they galloped past.

UW junior Tom Latzke, in an interview Oct. 30, complained the mounted police were too aggressive during the event.

"I wasn't doing anything and I personally got hit by a horse," Latzke said.

UW junior Chris Hanson, in an interview Oct. 30, had a similar view to Latzke's regarding the mounted cops.

"The horse police were a little pushy," Hanson said. "I don't know whether that was because they thought they had to control the crowd or what. But they're horses, so I guess it's okay."

Some revelers decided to physically confront the horses. An MPD press release from Nov. 4 details one such instance.

According to the release, at approximately 12:30 a.m. Oct. 29, Daniel Wedel was arrested for battery to a police animal.

A mounted officer felt her horse flinch while working the State and Gorham Street area. When the officer turned around, she saw Wedel winding up, ready to swing a cane at the animal another time, according to the release. Wedel dropped the cane and was pursued by the mounted officer, who used the cane to subdue Wedel with the help of another officer.

Wedel is not listed in the UW student directory. However, Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam said the university would crack down hard on any UW students charged with battery to a police horse.

"Not only will they face police sanctions and probation from us, but they could possibly face even stricter sanctions because of a violation of the university's code, which makes it a violation to attack a member of the faculty or UW police officer. The code includes horses," Berquam said.