Doyle vetoes human cloning ban

Appearing at the University of Wisconsin Biotechnology Center Thursday afternoon, Gov. Jim Doyle reiterated his steadfast support for the state's work in medical research by vetoing AB 499, a controversial legislative initiative banning all forms of human cloning.

Doyle stated he is "fully in favor of stem-cell research," pointing to the tremendous hope therapeutic cloning holds for victims of fatal diseases as well as the significant economic value at stake for the state of Wisconsin.

"We are an international leader in stem-cell research, and this research has the potential to cure illnesses people long thought were incurable," Doyle said, adding such legislation threatens to discourage the nation's best scientists from coming to Wisconsin, a risk with both medical and economic ramifications.

While Democrats contend the bill would dangerously restrict promising medical research, Republican supporters defend AB 499 as a measure necessary to protect humanity's most basic moral values. The bill managed to gain approval from the Republican-dominated Legislature, passing in both the Assembly in June and the Senate in September.

The contentious source of widespread debate was that the vetoed legislation sought to prohibit all forms of human cloning by making the practice illegal in the state. Violators of the proposed law would be found guilty of crimes punishable by up to 10 years in prison or, in some cases, $1 million in fines.

"No research should be exempt from a fundamental code of ethics," U.S. Rep. and 2006 gubernatorial contender Mark Green, R-Wis., stated in a release. "There are basic principles of decency that define a civilized society, and, under any definition, human cloning crosses the line of acceptability."

Under AB 499, both reproductive and therapeutic cloning would be banned. While many Democrats agree the former should face certain restrictions, they argue the value of therapeutic cloning and its potential to save lives is too great to restrict.

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Board Member Ruth Shelly spoke in favor of Doyle's veto Thursday, adding the move "will now continue the very strong stem-cell research taking place at the university."

"Therapeutic cloning helps us understand how diseases like juvenile diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis and Lou Gehrig's disease work. Stem-cell research is critical to curing juvenile diabetes," said Shelly, whose daughter suffers from the illness.

The practice of therapeutic cloning can be used to grow replacement organs or human tissues for transplant, causing Democrats to charge the bill as an underhanded attempt to prohibit stem-cell research.

Conversely, Republican legislators maintain AB 499's application is specific to human cloning, a practice they claim is distinctly separate from stem-cell research.

"I don't buy the governor's argument that this has anything to do with banning stem-cell research," State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said. "The governor was left with [a choice] to ban crazy scientists from playing God. … I'm sadly disappointed the governor has chosen to leave Wisconsin wide open to the mad science of human cloning."

While Republicans see Thursday's veto as missed chance to defend morality, the governor is viewing it as an opportunity taken.

"It's rare that a state has an opportunity to both advance research to cure illnesses and save lives and to build the economy," Doyle said. "That's an opportunity we should take here in Wisconsin."