Sapiro settles into Interim Provost title

This is the fourth in a series of articles profiling the administrators of the University of Wisconsin.

After spending 30 years at the University of Wisconsin teaching both political science and women's studies, Interim Provost Virginia Sapiro intends to utilize her familiarity with the campus in her new position.

"I've spent a few years here and I really love this place," Sapiro said. "And it's very important to me that it just continues to get better and better."

Sapiro, who serves as second in command in the UW administration, has not only taught during her tenure in Madison, but also held several leadership positions within the university.

She has been chair of both the Political Science and Women's Studies departments, as well as Associate Vice Chancellor for Teaching and Learning, all positions she held while still continuing to teach.

"If anyone wonders 'are their professors really busy?' The answer is 'yes,'" Sapiro said.

But she confessed some activities are worth taking time off from her position, such as football games and concerts.

As Interim Provost, Sapiro said she is in charge of "everything" revolving around academic life on campus.

Her duties include working closely with "all the deans" and she is now responsible for "all sorts of things" related to faculty, academic staff, diversity, climate and advising on campus.

Sapiro emphasized it is important for administrators and university staff to work together to solve common problems which confront the university. As interim provost, she said she intends to ensure all academic departments within the UW System work together to provide the best education for students.

"I work very closely with people in the Dean of Students' office to continue to get things settled down and working really well," Sapiro said. "All of us up here work as a team."

Sapiro obtained her undergraduate degree from Clark University in Massachusetts where she studied political science, and went on to receive her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, also in political science.

A graduate from New York City's High School of Music and Art, which the movie "Fame" was based on, Sapiro also maintains a love of the arts, which she shares with her husband.

"We watch films and we like music, and we go to a lot of theatre — we do a little bit of a lot of different things," Sapiro said. "And we try never to miss a football game."

College of Letters and Science Dean Gary Sandefur said Sapiro's reputation and experience at UW make her an excellent choice for the position of Interim Provost.

"On campus she's been very instrumental in providing leadership in the areas of undergrad education, women's issues and research in the social sciences," he said. "So she's a very well known, very well respected figure on campus and nationally."

Sandefur said Sapiro has a lot of essential qualities for the position of Provost, including an understanding of the importance of teamwork within the university.

"I think she is a great scholar and people expect that out of their provost," Sandefur said.